THIRTY

"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." -- Martin Luther King, Jr.

++ C H A P T E R | T H I R T Y ++           

    Brent stood with his arms cross, anger brewing beneath his skin. He stared head on with the Principal, feeling rather testy. First, his siblings are kidnapped, and now he was about to lose soccer all together.

    "Principal Jensen, please. Soccer is everything to me. I'll literally do anything." Brent placed his hands on the desk, leaning over it, trying to make his Principal see his way.

    Anxiety raced down his chest. No soccer meant no more connection to Elliott, which surprisingly bothered him more than it should have. Brent could remember with clarity how much he had once disliked the pretty boy, but now he was attached. Elliott was his only true friend it felt like. Natasha had flaked out on him, and his other friends had been distant and drama obsessed, like he had once been. But now, as of recently, Elliott seemed to be closer to him, and Elliott didn't even really like him.

    Brent was sure that Elliott saw him as an acquaintance that wasn't preferred but necessary, and Brent hated feeling like that. He hated feeling like he wasn't good enough to be Elliott's friend.

    "I suppose there is something you could do. Brent, failing a class is no funny business. We do not take it lightly here."

    "Yes, sir."

    "I expect your grade to be up soon. And you're lucky: there's a space for you in the Big Brother Big Sister program here at school."

    Brent felt his heart drop. He'd never even heard of that before, whatever it was. But, even Brent knew his was in no position to argue, so he instead nodded eagerly.

    "Basically, you mentor a younger student who isn't in high school. Here are the names of students in Middle School." The Principal pulled out a manilla folder and flipped it open. In the file were sheets of paper with an attached picture. Then, the Principal turned back towards the filing cabinet and pulled out another folder.

    "This is the list of students in Elementary School enrolled in our program. Each of these students, on both lists, are awaiting mentors, or 'Big Brothers'. You can pick any child."

    Brent felt shaky as he sat down. He didn't even look at the elementary folder - his brother was in elementary school, and having to hang out with a kid his age made his heart ache. Instead, he pulled the folder of Middle School children towards him, and flipped through the papers. There were a lot of boys, mostly rough looking with a mean look in their eyes as they frowned in the picture. Clearly not wanting to be in the program, and if Brent had to guess, it was their parents who pushed them into the program.

    Brent skipped past these kids, because he knew very well that working with them would be hell. They didn't want a mentor any more than Brent wanted to mentor.

    Then, between a girl with purple dyed hair and a boy with glasses was a picture of Mat, with his dimple smile shining through. Brent immediately picked up the paper and peered into the eyes of Elliott's youngest brother, a smile breaking on his face. Mentoring Mat would be a breeze - the kid already liked him. Plus, it meant more time getting to know Elliott. It was a win win.

    Principal Jensen noticed the look on Brent's face and took the paper form out of his hands. "Hmm. Mat Cole. Good kid, good student. New, though, and I've heard he struggles in english. You think you can handle that?"