THIRTY-EIGHT

++ C H A P T E R | T H I R T Y - E I G H T ++

School was awkward.

Elliott was beginning to finally accept the fact that people knew. She was finally ready to explain to Brent what was happening in her life, and why she had been dressing as a boy all this time.

She was ready to explain Mother. But, when she got to school, Brent was nowhere to be seen. He wasn't in class, and wasn't at lunch. In fact, Elliott was sure he had skipped just to avoid her. Not really the best feeling in the world.

"What if he doesn't want to be my friend?" Elliott asked Adrian during lunch. She'd been keeping an eye out for Brent, but he was nowhere to be seen. Not with Natasha, not with any of his friends.

Adrian didn't say anything. He hadn't told Elliott what had happened in the hospital room. He was afraid that Elliott would revert back to her old self if he told her what Brent had said about exposing her. And Adrian couldn't stand to see Elliott in that state, not again.

"Or, what if he's planning on telling everyone? I really can't stand that, Adrian. He's one of my only friends here."

"The kid used to bully you, Elliott. Or did you forget about that?"

Elliott looked down sheepishly. She had forgotten about that. Brent and her were so close now, it was like they'd always been on good terms, which wasn't something she thought would ever happen. But, it had. And Elliott wasn't sure she'd change a thing about their friendship.

"Elliott, you can't trust Brent. He was once your bully. Just because you two got chummy doesn't mean he won't tell people your secret."

Adrian didn't mean to sound so harsh, but after what had happened in the hospital room, Brent couldn't be trusted. Adrian knew his type - attention-whoring jock who didn't mind pushing people down so they could reach the top. Even from the beginning Adrian didn't like Brent. And now, Brent's outburst gave him a reason to despise him.

Even if that meant hurting Elliott's feelings to keep her safe.

"I know. I'm aware of that. But, he was just so... nice. Sane. He made me feel normal, you know? Just like Wes does."

Adrian opened his mouth to speak, but a tray clattered on the table. Elliott looked up, her eyes widening at the sight of Natasha. She flipped her red hair over her shoulder as she sat down. She smiled flirtatiously at Elliott, batting her eyelashes. Her chest was nearly spilling out of her tight shirt, but Elliott was more concerned about her presence than her revealing outfit.

"Natasha?"

"Hi Elliott. I have some very interesting news for you."

Elliott shook her head, confused and alarmed. Natasha usually didn't sit with her, not since she'd stopped sitting at Natasha's table. And the fact that Adrian was here usually scared Natasha away.

"News?"

"Brent is gay for you."

For a moment, Elliott just stared at her. She didn't believe Natasha - not one bit.

"How would you know?" Adrian demanded, taking control of the situation.

"Brent told me himself just the other day."

Elliott was still speechless. She didn't believe it. Couldn't believe that Brent, the mega jock, had a crush. On her. Not when he'd dated Natasha, who was beautiful and everything a girlfriend should be. She was nice, flirtatious, confident, and never awkward. She was nearly perfect.