Chapter 13: Liar

"Billy!" Charlie called as soon as he got out of his cruiser. Bella turned toward the house and ducked under the porch. I didn't care if my clothes were soaking wet so, I stayed out in the rain. "I'm going to pretend I didn't see you behind the wheel, Jake." Charlie said dissapprovingly. "We get permits early on the rez." Jake said while Bella turned on the porch lights. "Sure you do." Charlie says with a chuckle. "Excuse me, Jake. But, where's my hug?" I tease as I place my hands on my hips. "You're all wet Lyssa." Jake says as his faces scrunches up. "I still want my hug. After all, we are like, best friends." Jake groans but gives me a hug.

"Hey Lyssa." Billy says to me with a smile from the passenger seat. "Hey Billy. Has Jacob been a trouble maker again?" I questions teasingly. "You know it." He chuckles. "Hey!" Jacob exclaims. I laugh. "I have to get around somehow." Billy tells Charlie. Bella went inside while, Charlie, Jacob, and I helped Billy out of the car and into his wheelchair. Bella moved out of the doorway as we hurried inside. "This is a surprise." Says Charlie. "It's been too long," Billy answered. "I hope it's not a bad time." His eyes flashed up towards Bella.

"No, it's great. I hope you can stay for the game."

Jacob grinned big and it made me smile. "I think that's the plan - our TV broke last week." Jacob says. Billy made a face. "And, of course, Jacob was anxious to see Bella and Lyssa again." Jacob scowled at his father but then ducked his head. Aww! Jacob is just so adorable! And no. I do not like Jacob like that. That's just gross. Were friends but, I don't think I can see us as more than that. "Are you hungry?" Bella questions them as she turns herself towards the kitchen.

"Naw, we ate just before we came." Jacob answered. "How about you Charlie? Alyssa?" Bella questions. "Yeah." I say. I didn't hear Charlie respond as I walked into my room to change out of my wet clothes. My good old hoodie and sweats were my favorite comfort clothes besides my pajamas. When I left my room the aroma of grilled cheese filled my nostrils. The TV was playing and I could hear Billy and Charlie talking. I walk back into the kitchen to find Jake talking to Bella.

"So, how are things?" He asked. "Pretty good." Bella smiled. Liar. "How about you? Did you finish your car?" "No." Jake frowned. I knew he was really looking forward to that car. "I still need parts. We borrowed that one." He pointed his thumb to the front yard. I decided it was no use in me trying to join the conversation so I just went back to my room. I guess being ignored was my thing now.

A small simple knock came from my bedroom door. I look up from my bed to see Bella holding my plate of grilled cheese with Jacob right in tow. Jake's eyes wandered around my bedroom. "I don't think you're gonna find anything interesting in my room, Black." I teased as Bella set my plate down on my desk. Jacob rolled his eyes at me. "Thanks Bella." I said quietly. Bella gave me a small gentle smile and then left my room. Jake didn't follow her though.

Jake sat down on my bed next to me in silence. "You look like you need a hug. What's going on with you?" His eyes rested on mine for a second and I realized just how much of a brother he was to me. "A hug would be great. Just trying to get through high school." I twiddled with my fingers. Jacob grabbed my hands to stop me. "You're lying. You always do that when you lie. Tell me the truth Lyssa?"

"Jake!" I groaned. He chuckled and gave me a side hug. "Your the best brother figure ever." I mumbled into his shoulder. "Haha! Thanks." He chuckled and I could feel the way his shoulders moved up and down as he laughed. "The truth is," I looked up at him. His full attention was glued to me. "I have so many things going on that are hard to handle or process that I just feel like crap all the time." Part of this was true but I couldn't really lie again. I'm really bad at lying.

"Well, if you ever need someone to talk too just call me or Embry. I'm sure he'd love to talk to you. Or just stop by the rez and come hangout." Jake gave me one more side hug when I nodded my head. We both got up and left my room. By this time the game was already over and Charlie was helping Billy over to the front door.

When we said our goodbyes I gave Jake one last smile and he gave me one last playful wink before he drove off with his father.