Chapter 15: Good ol' Bonding

After school, I decided that I'd head down to the rez. Surprise my friends. I walked there but I didn't care. If I could walk to school then I could sure as hell walk to the rez. When I finally made it to Jacob's house I knocked on the door. A shocked Jacob opened the door and let me in.

"Lyssa? What are you doing here?"

As soon as I was inside the house, I plopped myself down on the couch. My legs were killing me and I was super exhausted.

"Who . . else . . would . . it be? ," I said between exasperated breaths. "Hanging . . out . . with . . my . . friends, duh."

Jacob chuckles and heads to the kitchen to grab me water. I had run out of water halfway to the border of the rez.

"You do know it's really late, right? I mean, you know what, nevermind. Make yourself at home Lyssa," Jacob comes back over with the cup of water and hands it to me.

I drink all of it in a matter of seconds. Water never tasted so good. Jacob's laughter fills the quiet living room.

"Is there a chance Embry and Quill could come over?" I question him with pleading eyes.

He doesn't hesitate to answer.

"Yeah, just let me call them real quick."

Jacob gets up from the spot next to me and heads over to the phone. I take my time to admire the house. It was so homey but it held many secrets. I knew that because Billy always looked like he was hiding something from me. I felt connected to this place. To the rez. To the people here.

I remove my backpack and place it on the floor by the edge of the couch. The empty cup still in my hands. Slowly, I place it on the table. Jacob's booming voice fills my ears.

"So, Quill won't answer his darn phone and Embry said he'll be here in five minutes."

I smiled.

"Ok. Why don't I call Quill? He might answer if I call him," I said with a snort.

Jacob doesn't respond knowing what I said was true. Quill liked me. Not in the way you're probably thinking. We're just good friends. I grab my phone out of my backpack and diall Quill's number. Within a matter of seconds the line picks up. I smirk at Jacob. Jacob sighs with a smile on his face.

"Hello? Lyssa?"

"Hey Quill! Want to hang out with Jacob, Embry, and I? Embry's on his way and I'm with Jacob right now."

"Sure. Just give me a few minutes. And no googly eyeing anybody until I get there."

I laugh and reply, "Ok. I make no promises."

"Geez, Lyssa! Ok, I'll be there in less than a minute." With that he hangs up.

I turn to Jacob with a smile.

"He said he'll be here in less than a minute."

Jacob laughs with me and sits back down on the couch as we wait. A knock sounded on the door. Jacob and I exchanged looks. He got up from the couch again and went to open the door.

"Did I make it here within a minute?" Quill said sounding exhausted.

We laughed at him.

"Sure. Let's go with that," Jacob says as he lets Quill in and closing the door behind him.

Another knock sounded at the door.

"And who might that be?" I questioned sarcastically.

I got up from the couch and went over to answer the door this time. Opening the door, Embry is standing there with a fist raised ready to knock on the door again.