Four

Chapter IV

The pain from the scar forced her onto her stomach. Her limbs then took on a life of their own, and she stared at her arms as they reached out and she started crawling under her bed. Abbie fought against the unseen entity controlling her body, but she could not stop herself. The scar wanted her in a specific position, and her arms and legs moved to those desired places as something crashed through her bedroom window. Abbie's hands suddenly covered her ears as the air in the room became electric with energy. Fire engulfed the room as the objects thrown inside her home exploded. She could not hear herself screaming because of the roaring fire raging around the bed. She was untouched by the flames because of her body's position.Edward and the Hessian waited in the woods across the street from Abbie's front door. She would have to exit this way to escape the flames. They could see the fire rising in the house. Smoke began filling the living room. Soon her neighbors would rouse from their dinners and come to see what was happening. They did not need prying eyes and more obstacles to prevent Lord Milan from his mission. Patrick looked down the street and saw people running outside with their cell phones calling for help. The Hessian became unnerved when more people ran towards the house screaming for Miss Mills.

"You aimed too close to her bedroom. What if she is injured? Moloch will kill us."

Edward glared at Patrick and then looked back at the rest of the Hessian. "We will wait right here. She is alive, and we will deliver her to Lord Milan."

Abbie stood behind some trees on the south side of her house, watching it burn. The hex on her home would not protect her now. Her home soon would be ashes. A sigh of lament escaped her as she watched the roof cave in under the intense heat beneath it. The scar had saved her life. It took control of her and half dragged and walked her into the kitchen and out the window there. Her favorite part of her home was now burning to the ground. Abbie's eyes closed as she rested against the tree and placed her right hand over the scar. Abraham said that the mark would protect her. Maybe he did want to keep her safe. The aching from the injury turned into total pain. Abbie opened her eyes and bit her bottom lip to keep quiet as she scanned the darkness around her. The growling that came from the blackness made the hairs on the back of her neck raise with fright. Her body broke out in sweats. She could feel and hear the leaves beneath her bare feet as she shuffled them, trying to back closer to the tree behind her. Why would Abraham leave her here alone if he knew the demon could track her outside her house? She was bait. He knew that it would come here. Abbie strained her eyes to see into the dark, but she saw nothing.

The scar throbbed with a warning.

A moan of pleasure followed another growl. A scratchy voice filled the darkness that surrounded Abbie. "Yum.... You smell so ripe, female. Soooo beautiful, soooo frightened."

Abbie panicked and started running towards her house, but she did not have control of her limbs. She suddenly found herself stumbling into the forest. The witness fought for control of her limbs, and the creature chasing her closed the distance between them. The crackling leaves and breaking branches behind her told her that soon she would see what was hunting her. Finally, she gave up her doubts about Abraham. Abbie still did not believe him, but just this once, she would. Her bare feet began flying over the sharp rocks and leaf litter. She felt nothing as the cold wind blew, and part of the nightgown caught on branches and ripped away from her body, leaving marks on her thighs and stomach. She could see nothing behind her or in front of her. She had no idea where she was going but knew that she would get there.

Her body crashed through branches unaffected by the cuts and scratches the sharp points caused on her skin. Her hands suddenly raised above her head and grabbed a thick low hanging branch. She continued running, pulling it toward the ground as she moved along the leaf litter. The deep breathing behind her became more vigorous. Abbie ducked her head and let go of the branch. She felt the hands of her pursuer skim her loose hair as the thick tree branch slammed into his face and knocked him backward. The roar from the creature ratcheted up her fear, and Abbie's leg moved faster. The speed that she traveled was unnatural. Her body would not be able to sustain it for much longer. Branches scraped her hands and arms as she raised them to shield her face.