Eight

Chapter VIII

"I would have never thought that the horseman of death could have so much wealth." Abbie let her hands roam over the sculptures in the master den. Abraham watched her with curiosity. She still held doubt within her body even if she wanted to be near him. He did not expect her to fall into his bed so quickly, even if he wanted her to. She had much reservation when it came to trusting someone. She was a police officer, and everything needed proof. The opposite sex had betrayed her, and it would not happen again.

"I am not the man that broke your heart. I am the man that will repair it if you allow me to."

Abbie slowly pulled her hands from Abraham's ancestors' bronze statue and walked towards another. He saw her body tense as she walked away from the sound of his voice. "The heart can and does heal."

Abraham walked towards her. "Yes, it can, and it does, but it can also get lonely when you build a wall around it."

Abbie felt him approaching and turned to face him. "You like my attention, but I am still your enemy even if I have saved you from harm."

His blue eyes bore into hers and forced her to look away. "You can understand my reluctance. I am not a woman to give herself to someone on a whim."

The warm hand on her chin gently coaxed her to turn back to him. "I am not a whim. I will be here for always, and you shall be with me. I have found what I longed for all my life. I will not let you go. Having this curse upon me has allowed me time to see the errors of my decision so long ago. I understand your hesitance. I, however, will do everything within my power to make you see and feel that I am all that you have ever needed."

Her body responded to his words with weakness, but her heart fortified itself against those words. No one would make it falter again; Abbie could not let that happen. He only wanted her body and not her heart. Abraham removed his hand from her chin and placed it on her right hip.

"I had heard those words professed before and only received pain and loss." Abraham lowered his lips closer to hers as he answered her statement.

"I want more than just this beautiful skin and flesh before me. I want more than just your courage or loyalty. I want what drives you to live and love others. I want the very essence of you to surround me and make me whole." He felt the trembling in her body and gently pulled her closer to his hard frame.

"I don't care if I have to rescue you a thousand times, all the while knowing that you will still doubt my intentions. I will always come for you."

Abbie wanted to move away from him if only to slow down his seduction. She did not want to think about her reasons for not believing his intentions. He was transparent and did not want her for anyone else but himself. His grip tightened around her waist. Abbie stared up into his darkening blue eyes as he held her secure against his frame.

"You were rejecting my touch because of your doubts when I know that you crave it with every fiber of your being; it only makes me want more. I will never stop trying to feed it. Your beauty and indifference have bewitched me."

Abraham lowered his lips towards her, and Abbie closed her eyes and let the heat running through her body have free reign. The churning pressure in her stomach moved lowered towards that place she had condemned for years. A soft moan filled the room as the kiss grew stronger. Her arms slowly rose from his chest and around his neck. Her heart took notice of her host's rampant emotions while in the powerful arms of Abraham. Her flesh longed for his strength and warmth. Her heart fluttered.

He felt the flutter of her heart and tightened his grip as much as he could without breaking a bone. He wanted her to feel and know that this was where she belonged. She had nowhere else to go. She had no one else that could protect her as he could. She had no one else that could make her body melt. There was no one stronger than he that could break down the walls around her heart. She intrigued him from the first moment that he saw her. Even when she attacked him, the desire to have her only intensified. The more that he watched over her, the clearer his mind became. He saw her strength, her intelligence, loyalty, and beauty in everything that she did. She needed someone as strong as she was to build a foundation. She needed someone that made her broken heart flutter with hope and possibly with love.