𝟎𝟑

HeartBurn

Chapter three

↽———⋆♥︎⋆———⇁

AN: My books tend to be fast-paced as I don't like to drag out tension. If you don't like it, this may not be the book for you.

Raven hair crowded over her eyes, the loud breathing echoed throughout the empty room. Her emerald eyes searched the room, looking for a remnant of the creature that had woken her from her sleep so abruptly. So many questions swarmed her disheveled head, all of which concerned the same man. How had he managed to get into her room when she had locked it? So he had a master key, did that mean that she couldn't ever truly have privacy? Was the contract broken due to her attempt on his life? That question should have been more obvious, but it blanked when she tried to think back on the contract's fine print.

He didn't seem too angry, not as mad as any normal person would have. She had analyzed that he was taunting her for the fun of it, it fit his profile. Though she knew so little about him that it was hard to pinpoint his motives. She couldn't tell if he would kill her or not, was that all just paranoia from the man she had spoken with earlier that morning?

Just as her breathing had become stabilized she heard noises outside of her room, far but close enough to make out that it was an argument. At first, she thought it better to not interfere, but after a loud pop, she dragged herself from her bed and wrapped her body in a robe before leaving the room. Her pistol remained in her pocket, even if she couldn't aim for shit she didn't quite like the idea of being vulnerable. "Put the gun down, last chance Gin." The voice was unmistakable Aurelio's, based on the topic alone it was a serious situation. With that knowledge, she hurried down the corridor until reaching the foyer.

She reached the large spiral staircase, placing her hands on the balcony she looked down at the bottom floor. Standing below were both Mr.Braun and Aurelio. Each of them held completely different stances, but both held a gun to the other's head. "Devo liberare questa casa dal diavolo." The words he spoke were bold and out front. And yet the language barrier kept Zen from being able to translate the situation. Based on body language Braun was angry, furious even.
(I must rid this house of the devil.)

Aurelio scoffed at his words, a sharp grin curling onto his lips. His fingers gripped the strap of the gun, the tension rising as he did. "Alla fine hai avuto la rottura mentale? Vai avanti Gin, premi ancora un po' quel grilletto. Io ti sfido." The sight would terrify any normal person, Zen surprisingly was no exception to that. This was just like that night, except both men were armed and she had no leverage over either to use for manipulation.

( Finally had the mental break did you? Go ahead Gin, squeeze that trigger just a little more. I dare you. )

She had been trained to talk down patients in these situations, but that was just the problem. Aurelio wasn't 'people'. He was something she had never seen, a monster that scared her just as badly as the one back home. Talking him down was something she wasn't entirely sure she could do, not without risking her own life in the process. Talking down to Mr. Braun however, seemed to be something that would be easier. He was suffering from what looked like a psychotic break. Aurelio wasn't suffering as he looked like he was enjoying all of this. "Mr. Russo." Her words bounced off the walls and reached the ears of the two men.

Aurelio had known of her presence the minute her foot reached the foyer, He couldn't afford to look in her direction even though he craved to. "Return to your room, this doesn't concern you." He hadn't known her long, but he knew words alone wouldn't earn her submission. She was the type that talked all that shit but when faced with danger she'd cave. "I'll deal with you when this is resolved if that's what you want. Go to your room." He longed to look at her, did she look scared? Was she trembling, little hands shaking against her body? How fast was her heart beating, did she come with her gun or had she left herself vulnerable?