Chapter 4: Rain

Chapter 4: Rain

The next few weeks had been almost radio silent on both ends as Meredith began her long shifts at the hospital while Addison was stuck at the practice. There were chance glances here and there accompanied by some waves but not much more than that as it seemed her neighbor had been stuck with late night shifts. As for her, the redhead was slowly getting used to her new job with one or maybe two deliveries a day. So far not much surgery, which was slowly starting to get to her. Surgery was her life. It was true that she loved being an OB but there was something about surgery. The way she felt the moment a scalpel was placed in her hand, that high, she missed it.

It was Saturday morning and she wasn't sure why exactly she was awake, especially since she had no work. She thought it might've been her internal clock until she heard rumbling thunder and rain. Her eyes flew open and she slightly lifted her head before looking at the clock, which read 6:35 am. 

Muttering to herself, she dropped back onto the pillow until she recalled the night before. She had gone yet again to make sure Meredith's door was locked, leaving her iPod, book, and cardigan on the chair. After double checking the blonde's door she went straight upstairs leaving everything behind.

"It's raining. Dammit!" She got up with a jolt, feeling slightly dizzy at the sudden movement.

Running down and opening the outside door she went through the rain to pick up her stuff. The water was cold and it was coming down hard. She felt the pelting rain on her skin as she had run out in her sleeveless short nightgown. Shivering a bit she went back to her door but it didn't open.

'No fucking way.' She thought to herself.

***

Meredith wasn't in a very good mood that morning. She had woken up early and gotten herself ready only to realize that her shift wasn't supposed to start until noon. She had plopped herself back in bed when she noticed her window had been open, which meant that thanks to the torrential rain her curtain was soaked through.

She got up and went to the window to close it and take down the curtain. As she stepped closer she noticed her lovely neighbor running around her terrace. She chuckled a bit as she saw Addison frantically moving about. Meredith was just about to close her window when she heard the redhead screaming.

"You stupid door! Why?! It's raining!" Addison shouted bitterly. Meredith moved to her balcony, shielding herself as best she could.

"Addison!" She called and the redhead snapped to look at her. "Come over." She waved her hand. It took but a beat before Addison started scampering towards her house.

Meredith made her way downstairs and to her door where Addison waited pouting and shaking like a wet cat. She opened the door and the redhead quickly stepped inside.

"Are you ok?" Meredith asked, trying to keep the smile off her face as Addison gave her a slight glare.

"It rains in L.A." The redhead muttered bitterly.

"It rains everywhere Addison." Meredith tilted her head with a hint of a chuckle.

"No. It doesn't rain in L.A." Addison grumbled.

"Well, someone didn't get the memo." Meredith smirked.

"Quiet." Addison said as she shook her iPod and book.

"Why were you outside with so little clothes in the rain? I know we live close to the beach and all, but shouldn't you cover a bit better? We don't know who might be lurking out there." Meredith grinned as she saw the hint of a blush in the redhead's cheeks.

"Because, Grey, I left my things out and the door locked and I keep forgetting to put the spare key under the flower pot and my phone is inside so I can't call the locksmith or Nae who has a copy of my key." Addison rambled then backed out and looked over at her house. "You think I can climb in through the balcony?" She asked.