Chapter 8: Did you miss me, sunshine?

Kai Atarian, the young Emperor-to-be, was woken up by the sound of sheets rustling. Annoyed, he opened his eyes and saw the dark-haired boy from yesterday lying next to him with his mouth slightly open. He was one of the newest additions to his harem, gifted by the ambassadors from the northern territories. Recently he had received many such "gifts" from different parts of the country. Kai Atarian was about to come into power after all and everyone was trying to get on his good side.

The boy looked exhausted. No wonder – after the sparring round with General Minn yesterday Kai was restless, and needed to blow off steam.

Not that it helped.

Even after having the boy in several positions, even after thrusting into him endlessly almost for the whole night, he couldn't stop thinking about Adnan Minn. It was like the man had placed a hook inside his brain, since he had rescued him from the fort. And afterwards all he did was just make him angry and confused.

Kai furrowed his brow and closed his eyes again.

As soon as he did, a scene as if from a long forgotten dream appeared in front of him. He was standing under a willow, looking at a clear fast-flowing river. It was warm, the birds were cheerfully chirping, and the grass was rustling in the gentle wind. He felt somebody approach him from the back. He turned around and saw a well-built graceful man with dark serious eyes. The man smiled at Kai affectionately and stretched out his hand to caress his hair.

"Did you miss me, sunshine?" he asked in a deep tender voice.

Before Kai could answer, the illusion disappeared as quickly as it came.

Since the day he had met General Minn in the savage fort, he knew without a trace of doubt that the man in the illusion that had followed him for years was undoubtedly him – same handsome figure, same raven-black hair, same pale complexion. The only difference was the expression in those peach-blossom eyes. General Minn in the illusion was serious but still calm and very warm. The eyes of General Minn yesterday were anything but calm – there was panic, there was fear, there was deep sadness. And no warmth. No matter how much he looked, he only saw indifference.

So this must be just a strange dream concocted by his brain for some unknown reason, right? Yet it felt more like a distant memory. Then again, how could one remember something that never happened?

When Minn offered to call him "sunshine" all of a sudden, Kai felt as if he was struck by lightning. Maybe this scene happened after all? Maybe he had forgotten but Adnan Minn still remembered?

But in the end it wasn't the case. This was just a weird coincidence.

For some reason it made Kai inexplicably angry. Another thing that made him angry was that the real-life Minn appeared to be so nonchalant about trading his life for Kai's freedom. It seemed that he would have done it for anybody and anything! Maybe even for a piece of moldy bread!

In the end he didn't even ask for a reward. Like, saving the next Emperor was just some unimportant chore he had forgotten about as soon as it was done.

To be honest with himself, at the time, lying on the cold floor, tied with the rope that not only physically immobilized him but was also slowly sucking out his life essence, Kai was sure he was going to die. He thought there was no one out there who would be willing to trade their life for his. Except maybe Niki – his most devoted friend and his own personal shaman. However, Niki, being undead, had already traded his life once, and had no more lives left.

Maybe his father could have saved him... If he bothered to be there.

Alas, the bastard left 5 years ago.