Chapter 25: A creepy lesson in herbology.

The last thing Aidan wanted to do was discuss his scars with anybody, much less with the Prince. When people noticed his wrists in his own world, they'd be tactful enough not to push the topic. One couldn't, of course, expect such courtesy from the Emperor-In-Waiting. Still, Aidan forcefully removed his hand from the tight grip and said: "An old injury, Your Highness. Not something to worry about."

"Did he do this to you?" the Prince asked in a low voice.

The ominous "he" was, without a doubt, the Regent himself. Aidan sighed. He felt like Jake's plan had backfired. The Regent wanted to lure out the slave smugglers and possible hidden enemies, but all he ended up doing so far was angering this firecracker. Who would have expected that the Prince would suddenly care so much about Aidan's injuries and honor?

Aidan even felt a little uncomfortable about the lie. At first, he thought it could be fun to play the victim of horrible injustice but now facing earnest concern, he was a bit embarrassed. It was like a college prank that had gone too far.

Besides, suddenly Aidan didn't want the Prince to think of him as a man who... doesn't have all his parts. It was a very irrational thought, and Aidan himself wondered what had gotten into him. He usually didn't give two shits what other people thought. Why would he now care about this spoilt rich kid's opinion?

Unwillingly Aidan had to admit that the Prince had somehow managed to get under his skin. It didn't hurt that he was really good-looking with his flawless skin, beautiful blue eyes, and that damn dimple. Also, the intoxicating acacia smell... It seemed so familiar. But Aidan couldn't remember anyone else in his life who smelled like this.

This evening the Prince had asked a very good question – why did Aidan call him "sunshine" at times? The scary thing was that he himself had no idea – it just seemed like a natural thing to say. What was it about this kid that made Aidan's heart soft?

"I will kill him," the Prince's voice tore Aidan out of his confusing thoughts.

"Please, don't!" Aidan exclaimed. Oh no, Jake had really underestimated this boy's temper! Before the Prince left, Aidan had to talk him down, so he didn't plunge a dagger into the unsuspecting man's chest upon his return to the palace.

"Why shouldn't I?" the Prince's voice got louder. "He did awful things to my father, he spread horrible rumors about my mother, he did unspeakable evil to my sister. And now you... He deserves to die. I only regret that I haven't killed him earlier."

Aidan didn't know what to say to that. Technically, Jake was only responsible for what he did in the last five years, but he couldn't tell that to the Prince for obvious reasons. He wrecked his brain for anything that would make the Prince stall off his bloodthirsty vengeance, but only very lame ideas came to his mind.

"You can't kill him...because...if he dies, I will also have to die," Aidan said finally. He thought about spinning a whole convoluted story about how the Regent made an order to execute him if something were to happen to His Excellency Reo Atarian. Aidan was aware that this was a paper-thin narrative, but if he could get Jake to corroborate, then it might work.

The Prince's eyes widened in shock.

"Did he use the Double-Death Fern on you?"

"Very likely..." Aidan nodded seriously but left some room for plausible deniability. Whatever that was, it seemed like one of those magical plants they had in this world. Aidan really needed to start cracking at General Minn's books if he wanted to be in the know on all this mumbo-jumbo.

"It's a black fern. Did he burn it in front of you and make you breathe in the smoke?"

Aidan moved his head in a non-conclusive way. The Prince still interpreted it as a "yes" and covered his face.