Chapter 11: Sex workers don't faze me.

Horse riding was the worst, yet slowly Aidan was getting used to it. He would have preferred Uber, of course, but, alas. This comfort was now just a pipe dream of a different world far far away.

He reached the imperial palace just in time to witness Emperor-in-Waiting riding out of the gate, looking all smug and royal in his tight-fitting tunic and black cloak. This guy somehow managed to look his best even in the simplest of outfits. Aidan suddenly felt a bit self-conscious. Maybe he should have also worn a cloak? However, he wasn't sure, if Adnan Minn even had one – from what Aidan had witnessed so far, this ascetic's wardrobe consisted only of several uniforms.

"Thank you for gracing me with your presence, General Minn," the blue-eyed fiend sneered.

"Please excuse my tardiness, Your Highness," said Aidan, slightly bowing his head. He decided to be on his best behavior and not annoy the Prince in any way, lest he wanted to fight again.

"Did you not receive my summon in time, General?" Aidan first heard a cold hostile voice and then saw the Regent come out from behind the Prince. He shuddered a little from the tone of his voice that didn't even try to hide the Regent's extreme dislike towards General Minn. The man also looked just as menacing as he did during the trial yesterday – his long blonde hair was in an immaculate order and his facial features were sharp and stern.

Instead of trying to find an excuse, Aidan just apologized again, bowing his head even lower, hoping that subservience would make the scary man back off.

"I hope, you'll take good care of my nephew during this trip," the Regent looked Aidan right in the eye. "If even a hair falls from his head, I will hold you personally responsible and, I promise you, there will be no one in the Empire who would give even an apple stump for your filthy life."

Aidan barely stopped himself from rolling his eyes. If the Regent was so distrustful of him, why would he drag him out for this ridiculous spiritual wellness trip? He could have chosen any other attendant. Aidan vindictively thought about suggesting the extremely trustworthy General Kear.

"I understand," he said out loud, maintaining the utmost respectful attitude.

As they were about to leave, two figures suddenly appeared at the gates. They quickly approached, and Aidan managed to recognize the weird white-haired skinny boy who stood behind the Prince yesterday. Next to him was a man Aidan hadn't expected to see so soon again – the dark and tall General Lox. He bowed his head and didn't look directly at anybody. Aidan felt so guilty he also couldn't bare looking at the man. If only he wasn't so useless and knew how to help him... Maybe he could at least try talking to the Prince on his behalf?

While Aidan was wallowing in his guilt and contemplating his options, the white-haired boy came up to the Prince and handed him a small package.

"It's not much but please be sure to use it," the boy said quietly.

The Prince smiled. In Aidan's memory it was the first time he had seen the young Emperor-in-Waiting actually smiling – not smirking, not leering but smiling like he meant it.

"Thank you. I'm sure, you did your best," the young monarch said, tucking the mysterious package away.

The boy blushed and looked up at the Prince with his big eyes.

"Just be careful, Kai, " he said, slightly stuttering. "If you don't come back, I..."

"I will come back, Niki. You don't need to worry about me," the Prince cut him off.

But at that moment Aidan was dancing an imaginary jig inside his head. He finally had the piece of information he was missing.

Kai! The blue-eyed fiend was called Kai!