Chapter 30: Princess gets married, Prince gets a message.

Kai had tried to see Adnan several times these couple of days, but according to his servants, he was always out. And, of course, they had no idea where he was, what he was doing, and when he was coming back.

"Tell him to visit me at the palace as soon as he returns. It is urgent," Kai ordered, as he once again left without seeing the only person who could make him feel at least slightly better about everything that was going on.

Savage envoys had left a while ago, taking away his sister. And once again, he just stood by without being able to prevent this disaster. The whole thing was a farce. His uncle went as far as organizing a bridal ceremony with dancers, acrobats, and even a darned fire performance. The whole city was celebrating, even though most people knew that their princess was nothing but a hostage exchanged for a temporary peace treaty.

Kai was sure that many thought that it was a fair deal. And he couldn't help but despise these people. The weirdest thing was that his uncle seemingly shared his sentiment.

The day before Miri left, Kai had accidentally walked in on his sister and Reo having a heated argument about the "marriage". Originally, he was looking for his uncle to ask him in a very roundabout way if he had by any chance sent General Minn away for some reason.

"Miri, you can't go. Do you even realize what they'll do to you?" Reo Atarian looked like he was on the verge of losing his temper.

"Do you take me for a fool?" his sister answered in a very calm voice.

"No, of course, not..." Reo shook his head, and Kai was surprised to see that his eyes were red. Ha, as if that man was capable of crying. "But you don't have to do this."

"I don't?" Miri raised her eyebrows. "Maybe, you're the fool here. If there is a full-on war with the savages, we will lose. Are you aware of that?"

The Regent nodded. "But..."

"Do you want to push our country into an endless bloody war that will destroy us all in the end?"

"Of course not. I will not let it come this far, believe me. I have a plan. Just stay and give me some time. Please, don't sacrifice yourself for this. You're so young – you have your whole life ahead of you. One day you'll marry for love, I promise."

"Promise? Don't make me laugh," Miri smiled, and Kai shuddered. He had never seen such a scary expression on his sister's face. "Do you really think that after everything, I care about marrying for love?"

"What do you want, Miri? I'll do anything..." his uncle pleaded. His voice at that moment was so different from his usual icy tone. Kai started suspecting that maybe Reo actually had feelings towards his sister. The thought was so disgusting he almost had to hurl.

"Anything, huh?" Miri gave him a long look. "Well then, if you can answer just one question correctly for me, I won't go."

His uncle visibly perked up.

"Tell me, uncle Reo," Miri enunciated every word, "do you remember Jer?"

Kai had no idea who she was talking about, but, apparently, neither did the Regent. He kept quiet, his eyes on the floor.

"I'm waiting," Kai's sister said after a long moment of silence.

"I'm sorry," said the Regent finally.

Miri narrowed her eyes. "Sorry for what?" Her voice now was less firm for some reason.

"I don't remember."

Miri let out a quiet laugh. "The answer is wrong. Uncle, you leave me no choice but to leave."

Reo rubbed his temples, and it seemed he was about to say something when Miri interrupted him: "You probably have no idea how much I hate you."