Chapter Four.

Finn

Tomorrow is the wedding which means today is the day we're all just floating. There's nothing much to do now besides get married, so we're all in a bit of a haze.

We're picking Kennedy up from school and bringing her to our apartment for a little bit but the wedding festivities start tonight. I'm dropping off Olive at my moms's house and Aves is heading to Grace's this evening with all the bridesmaids while I'm going to an AirBnB with the groomsmen. There's really not many of us in the wedding, so it should be fun. Everyone is pretty much friends already so there won't be any awkward tension or conversations lingering.

But right now I'm back standing with the parents as I wait for the kids to come out of school. We've got about five more minutes and Avery is back by my car on the phone with her chairman. She finished her first week of teaching yesterday so the chairman just called to see how it went, which is nice of her.

It's weirdly warm out today so I'm wiping my forehead with the back of my hand when the familiar voice rings from next to me. "Fancy seeing you here again."

You're kidding.

My lips roll into my mouth as I look down and low and behold, there stands Linda. You'd think she wouldn't want to talk to me after I rejected her pretty bluntly, but people can surprise you.

"Hey," I answer back casually. You can bet that Avery will be at my side any second now.

I also haven't forgotten that her kid is being mean to Kenny. If it was my place I'd tell her to fuck off right now, but I'd never overstep Casey and Grace like that.

"Back on pick up duty?" she asks now, obviously trying to start a conversation. I roll my lips into my mouth to try and bite back my smile since I know Aves is gonna come in hot once she realizes what's going on.

"Looks like it," I respond simply. I keep my hands in my front pockets as I bite the inside of my cheek. I'd love for my girl to scope in and save the day right now. This conversation is so awkward and forced and Aves is amazing at breaking that up.

"My son said her name is Kennedy," she tries now and now I'm chewing on my cheek to stop myself from saying something I shouldn't. That kid should be keeping her name out of his mouth. "They're friends."

Friends?

Little shit's body shaming my niece. Friends my ass.

Luckily Avery has fucking perfect timing and she's slipping to my side - her hand going to my lower back. I look down at her with grateful eyes but she's already looking up at me with a smirk, "Sorry about that. What'd I miss?"

"Nothing, she should be out soon," I shake my head. I can feel Linda looking up at me and I know she's waiting to be introduced for some reason. I literally don't know anything about her besides her name and the fact that her son is the youngest person on my shit list.

"This is my girl, Avery," I nod awkwardly, gesturing to Aves. I look down at her for reassurance but she's already reaching across me to shake her hand.

"I'm Lydia," she responds with a smile of her own, even though now she looks really awkward now. She definitely wasn't anticipating me not being here alone.

I guess seeing the woman she's trying to pretend doesn't exist doesn't help with flirting with her boyfriend.

Avery glances at me quickly but I can't catch why, and I'm already slipping my hand in hers as she does it. She looks back to Linda with a polite smile, even though I know she's relishing in the fact that she just rained on this woman's parade. "Do you have a kid in preschool?"