Chapter Twenty.

Finn

It's December 15th, which means it's been a month since our wedding and it's been flying by fast. I've been on my best behavior since I royally fucked up with Aves, trying to keep my protectiveness at a level that doesn't impede her freedom.

I hate that I went as far as I did and when she said that she was going to end up resenting me, I felt like my heart was ripped out of my chest.

But I can't lie and say that I probably wouldn't do something like it again. I don't want too, and I won't go as far as taking her car again but I am really going to do every single thing I can to get this shit in order. I've spoken to our lawyer multiple times a week and she's working on getting him back inside. She said that since we're legitimately afraid for Avery's life and some other legal and logistical shit, we can fight it. Problem is, his lawyer is up for scumbag of the year and the politics behind it all are delaying the process.

Jordan has been in constant contact with his parole officer and the guy seems to be doing his job, which is the only relieving part of this whole thing. She said that Hughes has mandatory in-person check ins with him twice a day and the guy is very strict about it. I'm not sure if he's just really good at what he does or if she's made it worth his while, but I don't care. I'm just glad he's being watched down there.

I've only been on two trips in the last month and they were short ones, which is lucky. I've been a nervous wreck on both but it all panned out alright. Now I'm on the bench for another game, luckily this one at home.

Avery's been really sad lately, she's barely getting dressed and she doesn't leave our bed if she doesn't have too. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out why, she's obviously being isolated and she can't go out without the fear of being fucking abducted. It's awful, I feel like shit seeing my girl so upset.

I try to get her up and out, but it's an uphill battle and I don't want to push her to do anything she doesn't want to do. But she actually agreed to come to the game tonight, which is something she hasn't been able to get herself to do. I never feel hurt or upset that she doesn't feel like going to my games, she's come to a countless amount since we've met and it can get tiring after a while. I just want her to be around people though, I just want her to have fun.

The score is tied and it's the third period and I've been feeling really good tonight, but I think that's because I don't have to worry as much about my girl. I hate to say it, but all of this has seriously affected my game and I haven't been as productive as I usually am and boy, are the fans not pleased with me.

But I've already got two assists tonight and I actually feel like I'm making a difference so I hope that momentum can keep going and I'm not just going to go right back to the shitty game I have been playing lately.

"Gonna try something new," Casey leans over to me, so I lean closer so that I can hear him over the game. He points to the ice as he speaks, "They've been covering you hard down center, so I want you to sneak left wing."

I nod as I look at where he's pointing to, listening as he continues, "Stay there at the circle, Asher will sauce it to you and you rip it - you hear me? One timer as hard as you can."

"I'm not really a rocket guy," I laugh as I look over at him. There are plenty of guys on this team who have a much harder shot that I do and when I do hit it hard, my aim is God awful. It never works out. "Shouldn't Asher do this?"

"No, you can do it," he hits my leg a few times. "I'm gonna be at the net ready to bank that bad boy in if you miss," he grabs the water from the netting in front of us, saying before he drinks some, "Just don't hit me with it. That would suck."