2 ~ 𝙖 𝙥𝙤𝙨𝙨𝙞𝙗𝙡𝙚 𝙩𝙝𝙧𝙚𝙖𝙩

Newt

The girl was impatient. Especially when I told her to save her questions until the end. She sighed heavily, folded her arms, and stuck her bottom lip out in a pout. I raised my eyebrows.

"Dramatic much?"

"Be quiet," she snapped. "Let's get on with it."

I started the Tour with the Box, where we all were crowded just an hour prior. This was where the girl had come up.

"This is where we get all of our supplies. They come up once a month along with-" I faltered when I realized that the Greenie was no longer by my side. I turned to see that she had paused a few yards away, squinting suspiciously at the Box. She was scared of it. I could understand; being brought up in the Box was not a fun experience. It was dark, and cold; not to mention the fact that you couldn't remember a thing when you woke up. "Don't worry," I said in what I hoped was a reassuring voice. "The Box isn't dangerous. It's just scary when you first come up." She gave a small nod, and pressed her lips together so tightly, they turned white. I stifled a laugh at her attempt to stay quiet.

"Next," I said cheerfully. "The Gardens. This is where I usually work, when I'm not being second in command."

I approached the Track-hoes – who were the boys who worked in the Gardens – with the girl trailing behind me. They looked up as the Greenie approached, piercing her with their stares. She fidgeted, as if their eyes were actually stinging her. They didn't seem to care that they were making her uncomfortable.

"Don't do that." I snapped at them, and they immediately got back to work. "Zart, will you come here?" Zart, a blond, pale boy, approached cautiously. He was usually quite shy around the newest Gladers, and I fully expected him to be the quietest around this one, especially since she was a girl.

"This is Zart, the Keeper of the Track-hoes," I introduced him. "The leader of the Track-hoes," I specified after seeing the girl's confused face. The girl and Zart shook hands. "We have to find you a job, Greenie, so you'll start with working a day with each one until we find one you're good at. You'll try being a Track-hoe in a couple days, and Zart will be overseeing." The girl nodded, and repeated the information back to me. It was actually very helpful to know that she was actually paying attention; usually, explaining our situation to our newcomers was very difficult, but she was making it pretty easy.

Next was the Bloodhouse, and the animal pens surrounding it. "We have chickens, pigs, cows, sheep; all that stuff," I said, gesturing to the pens. "And the Slicers are there to slaughter them for Frypan, our cook, to put in our dinners." I pointed at the shack, where the Slicers were hard at work. The Greenie's face looked a little green, so I decided to move on. I doubted that she would be put with the Slicers, if talk of killing animals would make her sick. Besides, hardly anyone got chosen to be a Slicer. A lot of people made mistakes on purpose so that they wouldn't have to work at that job; that's why we only had about four Slicers.

"Next," I sighed. "The Door."

"The Door?"

"The Door," I pointed towards the huge gap in the tall stone wall. The Greenie's face lit up in excitement. I knew how much she was itching to know about the Door. "Prepare yourself, there's a lot here." The girl leaned forward on her toes, eyes wide and eager. "This Door leads into the Maze," I hesitated. Her face was pure confusion. "You can ask a few questions now," I said.

"The Maze?" she blurted immediately. "How can it be a Maze?"

"See down there? Where the corridor splits off in two directions?" I pointed into the dark. The girl nodded. "That's where the Maze starts. It's huge; every bit of it is made out of these walls," I gave the stone a firm slap. "The Glade is in the middle."