4 ~ 𝙗𝙤𝙣𝙛𝙞𝙧𝙚𝙨 𝙖𝙣𝙙 𝙣𝙚𝙬 𝙣𝙖𝙢𝙚𝙨

Newt

"Gally's not one to be super fluffy." I told the Greenie as I led her away from Gally and the Builders. She snickered at me. 

"Fluffy?"

"You know what I mean," I said in exasperation. "He's like that to everyone; he tries to scare 'em. Thinks it's fun. " 

She sighed. "He doesn't seem to like me much though. Why?" 

I shrugged. "I don't think Gally likes change." I said simply. She nodded, and looked down at her hands. I realized with a jolt that she was hurt; her knuckles were split open and there was dried blood all over her hands, like gloves. How had I not noticed it before?

"Where'd you get those?" I pointed at the injuries.

"The Box," she replied, trying to scrape away some of the red from her fingers. 

"Well, you should have said something, shuckface." I took her by the arm and began to walk over to the Homestead, where the med hut was.

"What's a 'shuckface'?" She inquired.

I laughed. "It's meant to be an insult,"

"Well, in that case: don't call me a 'shuckface.'"

I grinned. "You sound funny when you try to use Glader slang," I told her.

"Why do you guys have a funny language?" She asked. "I've heard 'Greenie', 'shuckface', and 'slinthead' all in one day and I have no idea what they mean."

I shrugged. "I don't know exactly what they mean... It was probably Minho's fault that we made them up, since he has the mouth of a bloody sailor. Everyone just got sick of him cursing all the time."

"Minho?" She repeated. 

"He's another Glader. I'll introduce you later. Mind you, he's a handful."

She grinned. "Well at least our personalities match," she said. I laughed. 

Clint and Jeff, our Med-jacks, sat the Greenie down on a cot. They cleaned her hands and added bandages. The girl sighed, bending her fingers gingerly. "I wasn't in that bad of shape," she tried to convince me. 

"Both of your hands were completely covered in blood," I reminded her.

"Touche."

"I think you're all set," Jeff said with a smile. "Unless there's something else you need?"

The girl hesitated for a second, and then rolled up her sleeve. A long cut ran from her shoulder to her elbow. That must have been why she was holding on to her arm earlier, as if she was in pain. I threw up my hands.

"Well, you've kept that quiet!" I scolded her. 

"Jesus. Doesn't it hurt?" Clint asked her, tearing some more gauze for another bandage. The girl shrugged. 

"A bit," she said. I shook my head at her in exasperation. "Speaking of hurt," she blurted while Clint wrapped her arm. "What happened to your leg? You've been limping all day. Did you fall?" 

The Med-jacks and I froze. I looked up slowly, my mind working so fast that I could barely keep up. What would I say? What lie would I tell?

"I - er... got hurt while running from a Griever a while back," I said promptly, after a few moments of awkward silence. The girl gasped. 

"Were you a Runner before? Is that how you ran into the Griever? How'd you get away from it?" Her eyes were sparked with interest and curiosity, and I panicked.