26 ~ 𝙩𝙤𝙣𝙞𝙜𝙝𝙩

Lottie

Two more words had been conjured up out of the maps: STIFF and PUSH. Then there was nothing in the three map days that followed, but that was all we had time to figure out; it was almost night. 

I brought a pile of blankets and pillows to the Slammer and climbed inside. It shut behind me, and I heard the rope being tied around the bars so I couldn't get the door open. I turned to see Newt looking resentfully through the bars. "I really wish you weren't in there." He said softly. 

I wrapped my hands around the bars, just above the place where his was. "I believe that it will keep you guys safe."

"But will it keep you safe?" 

That, I wasn't sure. I wondered if the Grievers could sense where I was; I wondered if they could track me. "I don't know. I guess we'll see." Newt swallowed. 

"Hey, Lottie," Minho appeared at Newt's shoulder. He handed me a spear and a machete through the bars. "To protect you." I took the weapons and smiled at Minho.

"Thanks, Minho," 

He smirked. "Good luck." He left for the Homestead. I heard a Griever scream somewhere in the Maze, but it sounded close. 

"Newt, you have to go."

He looked hesitant. "But-"

"Newt!" I grabbed his hand for one last squeeze, and then let go. "Go." He stood and started walking away. 

"Goodbye," he said before he was swallowed up by the darkness.

Goodbye. He had said goodbye. Not 'goodnight', not 'good luck'. Goodbye. He didn't think I was going to make it. It hurt to think of his lack of faith in me, but I didn't think that was it. It was more himself giving up.

I was going to prove him wrong. I was going to survive this night, and the others will, too.

I was huddled in the corner, blanket wrapped tightly around myself, when I saw them. Two Grievers, rolling through the Door. I threw my blanket off me and stood, readying myself. I drew the spear closer to me and held out the machete. 

But the Grievers didn't come over to the Slammer. They went to the Homestead. And as I watched, the first Griever broke through a boarded-up window. Shuck. Our plan didn't work. 

Panicked, I began slicing at the ropes holding the door in place. When they were frayed enough, I kicked the bars with all my might. It crashed to the floor, and I sprinted towards the Homestead. "Hey!" I screamed at the Grievers. "Over here! It's me! I'm the one you want, right?" The Grievers whirled around with a screech. "Take me!" 

The Grievers rolled forward, beginning to chase after me. They left the Homestead alone. I had done what I meant to do; now my job was to survive. I turned away from the Grievers and sprinted into the Maze. I didn't have to look behind me to know that the Grievers were right behind me.

The Maze looked like a completely different place at night; the walls casting eerie shadows on each other, and the vines creeping like green veins up the gray concrete. It reminded me of the veins someone would get during the Changing.

I weaved my way through the Maze, using muscle memory to avoid getting lost. An idea popped into my head: Bring the Grievers to the Cliff. It was their home; they'd want to go in. Right? So, for the second time today, I ran the route to the Cliff.

I turned the last corridor, not even aware of the pains in my chest. I ran the length of the corridor, stopping at the very edge of the Cliff, then turned to face the Grievers. I hadn't been able to lose either of them; they had chased me the entire way.