TREEHOUSE - Colby

Existing was the thing that I loathed the most, though I was doing it right now; it fucking sucked. I mean that was until I found the hut perched in the air, far from those that would glance into the thick brush of the woods. It didn't feel like you were existing when you were there, it felt magical.

That was until Cole found it.

Cole was a weird boy, I had seen him around the halls in school and sometimes in the back of my chemistry class. But other than that he almost went unnoticed. He had this vibe off him like he was going to murder someone. He stood taller than most kids in the school from what I had seen (not that I was looking), thick, dark brown hair that covered most of his eyes and he dressed...weirdly?

I swear it was almost as though he was searching for the hut, emerging from behind the old oak tree at exactly 5:53 pm, last Tuesday. His eyes held a stare of shock when he noticed my figure sitting against one of the squared corners. I wasn't one to be surprised, but he made me jump at his sudden appearance.

"Cole, what did I say. I want to be here alone on Thursdays, why can't you just take the hint that I don't want you around." He had, once again, popped out of nowhere.

"I'm sorry- I didn't realize it was Thursday...I'll leave, my apologies." He was quick to turn, not quick enough, however.

"Cole? Are you okay?" He stopped. Turning on his heel to look back at me, his eyes shined red in the light. Bloodshot, from what I presumed, from crying. Poor boy.

"I'm not doing okay." Honest, wasn't expecting it. Colby didn't seem like the type of person to be so upfront, I thought he would've shied away from the question even.

"How so, what happened." I didn't care, I was just bored and confused.

"Oh, my parents... they ah fight a lot." I sighed, that was something we both could agree on. I understood where he was coming from, my parents used to fight a lot. It was so bad that dad up and left.

"Do you need a place to stay?" My gesture surprised me. I wasn't one to offer, but I know I would've liked having a place to stay when my parents fought. I know that I would've appreciated a home away from home. A place that I knew I was safe in and honestly that's why I was so happy about finding the treehouse; a safe place away from the rest.

"I'm sure you don't mean that, you don't even want me here." I sighed, I was so rude and stuck up to him. Since day one, I was the biggest asshole.

"No, I do mean it. Truly I do and I'm sorry about giving you shit for so long." I saw a glint in his eyes like this kid was fucking crying. Then, boom. I was pulled into a hug, one I couldn't back out of even if I wanted to.

"Thank you." His voice was a whisper, I should be the one saying thank you.