14. Softly

"Was there any cute boys at the party?" My mom asks with an overly happy voice, before I have even closed the door fully behind me. I'm a hundred percent sure she's doing it on purpose.

I sigh, and Sarah gives my hand a little squeeze. Promptly, she releases it right as Mom appears in the kitchen door frame, little Willy already fully awake in her arms. I refuse to answer her question, and I stand there waiting for her to get the clue.

"And who's your friend?" She finally asks, her features softening as she turns her head to my left.

"Sarah", I quickly reply with a small smile. I love saying her name, and I hide a smile with my wrist. I then start tugging at Sarah's arm to lead her downstairs, away from my mom.

"Nice to meet you, Sarah!" Mom screams from upstairs. "And Jamie, door open, thank you!"

I close my bedroom door behind us anyways, scratching the back of my neck. Sarah is beet-red, and I think this is the first time I have seen her so embarrassed. I suddenly realise what situation we're in, and I quickly crack the door open.

"I'm sorry... I really thought we could avoid seeing my mom."

I turn back to Sarah, fidgeting with my fingers.

"It's okay", she replies in an adorably soft voice.

She caresses my cheek for a moment, and I dare to look into her golden eyes. She takes the air away from my lungs.

"It mustn't be easy for you", she quietly adds.

I crouch down to lay my head against her neck, holding her waist for balance. I nod and she smiles lightly before brushing her lips against my forehead. She hugs me tighter, and I feel safer. I free myself from her grasp to take both of her hands in mine.

"How's your family like?" I ask, breaking the silence.

She smiles softly before laying her forehead on my shoulder.

"My house seems a bit more calm than yours. My mom is kind and strong just like you are, and my dad is the most talkative person you'll ever meet."

"Do you think they'd like me?"

She moves away from my arms so she can look me in the eyes.

"I'm sure they would love you", she whispers before stretching her body to kiss me softly on the nose. My knees feel weak, and for a moment I forget why we are even in my room.

I hear my mom going down the stairs, and I move away from the hug. I quickly look around and grab my book before leading Sarah out of here. I make a point of taking her hand in mine for Mom to see, and we exit in a hurry.

***

I lay restless on my bed, finding it hard to understand that what happened today wasn't a dream. I relive the kiss over and over in my head until I am not sure anymore what is real or what isn't, over and over and over.

I arch my back as I recall where her hand brushed it, bite my lips as I relive the way she kissed me. I am soon overwhelmed with thoughts of Sarah, her smell her hair her body against mine. I dream of running a hand under her shirt just like I had the urge to do earlier, telling myself that next time, next time, maybe I could.

The sun begins to rise, gradually painting my room in tints of blue as light passes through my curtains. I didn't sleep at all tonight. I turn and turn, but there is no use trying to cool down my thoughts.

I grab my phone to check the time, but I am quickly distracted by a notification from Sarah. My chest feels even warmer as I unlock my phone.

[Sarah] 5:38 a.m.

      Hey Cutie! I had a wonderful day today. Can't stop thinking about you >.<

[Super-Jamie <3] 6:23 a.m.

      I had a wonderful day too.

[Super-Jamie <3] 6:27 a.m.

      Can't sleep either?

[Sarah] 6:28 a.m.

      I can't, you're all I can think about

[Sarah] 6:28 a.m.

      Can I call?

I quickly call her before laying my phone down on my chest. I am now fully awake, and her soft tired voice drives me absolutely crazy. I swear, if she was to ask me just about anything with that voice of hers, I would do it without any second thoughts. I am fully hypnotised by her voice, and she keeps me up until she falls asleep on me an hour later. I hug my phone, completely charmed.

I have the cutest girl in the whole damn world all to myself.

♡♡♡

It appears Jam is moving on... What do you guys think about the sudden change of heart?

And yes, Nia, dialogues! It appears I have the ability to write them, I just don't usually bother... (I'm working on it tho >.<)