15. MiniCourt

It has been a week since I last saw Sarah, since I first kissed her, and I practically run to the door when she texts me to tell me she is here. I was so looking forward to this that I spent the whole afternoon yesterday letting Rachie help me pick clothes for today without any complaints. We decided on an overall and my peach shirt, kind of cute, still me. Rachie told me I looked gorgeous in it.

I open the door, and Sarah instantly pulls me into a hug. I breathe in, taking in her smell. I allow myself to hold her close, a hand behind her head to secure it against my body just like I have been dreaming of over the past week. Then, I yell goodbye to my parents, grab Sarah's hand and enthusiastically hurry towards her car with her.

***

"Welcome to MiniCourt", the girl behind the counter says, "I'm Nia, ask me if you got any questions."

We nod in approval as she hands us some sticks and colored balls.

I turn to Sarah, who is already tugging at my hand to drag me to the first hole. I bite my lip for a second, fidgeting with my necklace.

"Did I mention that I never played before?" I finally say.

Sarah's smile gets even wider. She takes my hand with both of hers, and I can't help but to smile back at her.

"Let me teach you!"

She happily explains the game, but I find her so cute in doing so that I quickly lose focus on the words she's saying. She cocks her head to the side when she notices it, and she gently taps my arm with her golf stick. I quickly say something before she gets annoyed with me.

"So the ball goes into the hole."

She laughs softly before rising on her toes to kiss my forehead.

"You're okay", she reassures me. "I'll count the points for us both. Just try to hit the ball as little times as possible!"

I nod to show her that this time I was listening to her. I place my golf ball on the ground and bite my lip, trying to focus on the first hole. I hit the ball with a bit too much force, and it jumps up before landing straight into the water behind it.

I must be pouting, because Sarah seems to be holding in a laugh. She puts her hand on my shoulder and gives me a few words of encouragement before kissing my cheek.

"Want to try again? I won't count that first hit."

I nod, and she retrieves the ball for me. She lays a hand on my back to align me, and in one hit I get the ball rolling into the hole. Sarah excitedly hugs me, and I can't help but to widen my smile to match hers.

***

22 for Sarah to 53 for me. I am not even close to having won against her, but I blame it on the cute girl distracting me. She blushes when I tell her, and I consider that to be my win of the day.

She is happily slurping her free slushie from the final bonus hole, and I crouch next to her to lay my head on her shoulder. Her curls tickle my forehead, but I don't want to move; I find it easier to talk to her when she can't see my face.

And I start blabbering about the game we just played. About Rachel, about my summer, about my comic books. I can't seem to stop talking until Sarah brings me back with a hand on my cheek. I smile, pressing further against her palm.

She hands her slushie to me, and I happily take a slurp. Sarah's eyes feel distant, and I try to trace back my words to see where I lost her. I can't find anything wrong with what I said, and my best guess is that she must be tired after an afternoon under the sun. I lay my hand on her thigh, tracing circles with my thumb, and her attention comes back to me.

***

After driving me home, she kisses me goodbye, and for a moment I don't feel anything. No butterflies, no heat. There is a faint taste of loneliness on my lips. I kiss her again, and this time I close my eyes and let the blood rush to my cheeks.

I don't know if this is what I want. I shake my head in dismissal before smiling back at Sarah. After all, I did just spend a wonderful afternoon with a wonderful girl, didn't I? I must be tired, too.

I brush my fingers on my lips before closing the front door behind me, still smiling a little. After all, Sarah has everything I could possibly want.

♡♡♡

Welp that went well, didn't it?