18. Texts

I wake up in Sarah's arms to 51 texts and 18 missed calls, most from Rachel, quite a few from my mom, and a single text from dad.

I sit up in the bed, and I start to go through the texts.

"Picking you up in 5! Please be awake!"

"Jamie, you come back here now!!"

"Jamie, can you please let your mom and I know that you are okay? I love you"

"Heyy your mom said you ran away???"

My phone dies in my hands, and I put it aside. I snuggle up against Sarah. In her arms, listening to her heartbeat, I feel safe.

***

I open my eyes, woken up by drawers opening and closing, and with my source of warmth gone from my arms. I poke my head above the covers, a bit confused as to where I am. Sarah's eyes meet mine, and she smiles at me. She comes to sit next to me, her soft hand reassuringly resting on my shoulder.

"So, are you going to tell me what happened? Or would you rather I feed you first?"

I frown sleepily at the mention of food, and Sarah chuckles.

"I have a class in a few, but you can help yourself to anything from the fridge if you get hungry. There should be some bread in there... Ohh you need coffee, right?"

I grab Sarah's waist to hold her against me, and she laughs as she tries to free herself. She gives up, and I snuggle up on her.

"The closest place that sells coffee is right downstairs, at the student café. You know where it is, right?"

I nod against her chest. I want to keep her here as long as possible, but the words are caught in my throat. Coffee would wake me up, and the dream is still so comfortable. Once my guard is down, she promptly gets up, and I fall back against the pillow. I let out a little whine in protest.

"I put some of my clothes for you to wear on the dresser with my spare key. Will you be alright?"

I nod, sleepily upset that she is going away from me. I get up on my elbows and, noticing that I am about to talk, Sarah patiently stays still by the door.

"Will you let Rachie know I am okay?"

"Alright Super-Jam. I love you."

I love you too, I softly reply. She kisses the top of my head, then exclaims that she is going to be late to class before rushing through the door. Just like that, I am alone again. The room suddenly feels colder, and I hide back under the blanket. I just want someone to hold me.

With Sarah gone, everything comes back to hit me. My eyes fill with tears and I curl up into a ball. My phone is dead, I am lonely and Rachie must be freaking out right now. I roll on the bed to reach Sarah's charger, which luckily matches with my phone's charging port. I hope Sarah texted Rachel. Rachie knows how to make everything better.

I take a deep breath, trying to make sense of yesterday. I never meant to run away, I just wanted to be safe. Home didn't feel safe anymore. The rest is a blur, and I quickly get a headache.

I get up to shut the curtains down, and I put on Sarah's shirt. It is a bit tight on me, but I have to admit it smells nice. Sarah will be back in an hour, and everything will be okay. My phone lights up, and I quickly grab it to get it over with.

[Jamie] 8:23 a.m.

             Hi dad, I am safe.