Chapter 7: Home?

3 days later, Thomas was all healed up and ready to leave the hospital. Really, they didn't have much to work on. A robot body is much different from a human body, after all. All they had to do is interview Thomas on what he remembered and Guy on the things Thomas left out due to...well, you know. Plus, they had to do some work on Thomas's body itself, just to make sure there weren't any additonal injuries and he could perform basic functions well.

It'll take a while for Thomas to get his memory back...all Guy has to do is make them all click. Reenact past events, spend more time together, etc...

It'll either be a total nightmare or the best time he's ever had in his life. No in between.

Once they actually made their way out to the parking lot, neither of them had any ideas of what to do then.

"...so...should we just look for a place to stay, or..." Guy questions. "You still remember where your apartment is?"

"Oh! Yes!" Thomas beams. "I remember that I spent quite a bit of time there the past few years..." he says. "I only really left to buy stuff...boy was I a loner! Probably!"

Oh...oh Thomas, what were you doing to yourself?

"I...I guess you can just...walk me there..." Guy says quietly.

"Alright! I'm not quite sure where to go from here, as I don't remember ever going here, so I'll just use my GPS system! I at least remember my address!"

Thomas stood in place for a couple of seconds as a dot on his visor started moving back and forth across it. Then, an exclamation mark pops up.

"Alright! Let's go!"

Thomas grabs onto Guy's hand and pulls him, almost dragging him away.

He seems so...happy?

Guy knew there was a change in him, but he never knew it would have such a big influence on his personality...it was almost like...

...like back in the Discovery days.

Times were simpler then. They thought that their new bodies were "super cool" and "shiny"  and "futuristic." Every time they found out they could do something a human couldn't do, they always got super excited and giddy with each other. They would run around using their abilities whenever they could, make cool patterns with the LED lights on their faces, interact with humans more than usual...

That excitement slowly started to grow into grief.

They started to miss their old selves. They couldn't eat human food, cover themselves in liquid without risk of death or injury, getting actual injuries that heal themselves...

And they went that far to get it back...

This is all your fault, you know.

You shouldn't have flipped that switch.

You shouldn't have went to that lab in the first place.

IT'S ALL YOUR FAULT.

IT'S ALL YOUR FAULT.

IT'S ALL Y

"We're here!"

Thomas's voice cut off Guy's deep dark thoughts...thankfully...

Being at the apartment building again made Guy just a bit uneasy because memories connected with it, despite only being there for a few minutes or so. It looks nothing like it did when he last left, though. Quite astonishing how fast a crime scene can be cleaned up.

Going inside, he started to realize how sad of a life Thomas really lived. It was one of those one-room apartments, with the only other rooms being the closet (which doesn't really count as a "room") and the washroom. There was a single bed, a couch in front of a TV, a basic kitchen setup, a small table in the corner, and a record player complete with a shelf filled with records.

Judging from how frighteningly clean it was, he assumed that either the police did a good job cleaning or Thomas only cleaned just to pass time...if the second option was the case, then at least he tried to do something good for himself.

"It not much, but it's at least something!" Thomas grins. "Make yourself at home!"

Guy sat himself down on the couch and flipped through the channels on the TV. He stopped after flipping through a couple channels, settling for Nickelodeon, which, of course, was playing a Spongebob episode. Ah yes...the classic Chocolate with Nuts episode. That fish screaming about chocolate truly will never leave his mind.

"Oh, hey, Spongebob! Haven't seen this episode in a while! I think!" Thomas exclaims as he joined Guy's side. "Nice to see it is still going after all these years!"

"I don't think we'll ever be rid of it...it'll probably still be making new stuff even in 2020..." Guy half jokes.

Wow, is he, like, a prophet or something?

For the rest of the night, they sat on the couch watching the episode and whatever else comes on, making occasional jokes about the content ("Seriously, how did they get away with Patrick calling him 'Spongeboob?'" Guy jokes at one point. "He literally just said boob! On live TV!") and nagging each other.

Almost like old times.

...

(Almost forgot this book existed bleh)