Chapter 2: Of the Situation

"Good morning love birds~," Lisa greeted both Diluc and Jean. They had just left the Grandmaster's office room to meet a rather suspicious librarian.

"Oho~ No response. How dull.  Anyways, how was your morning?" Lisa questioned, a smirk playing on her lips.

"If I'm correct, you put us in that inappropriate position?" Jean inquired, crossing her arms.

"Oh, come on now, it's not illegal to have a little fun from time to time is it, Jean?" Lisa giggled, using her hand to cover her mouth. "Unless you do pass a law making it illegal. But I doubt that would be very good for the city of freedom."

Jean stared at her with a blank expression. Diluc just pretended he wasn't there. Lisa made a laugh of the event. The two most famed figures of Mondstadt in such a stumping scenario, how humorous. 

"We all have been awaiting the day you two had a moment. I thought I'd just give it a little push." Lisa added, watching as the winery owner shifted his position. 

Before Jean could say another word, Kaeya entered the room.

"Oh my. What do we have here?" Kaeya grinned, knowing full well what was happening.

"The acting grandmaster and the feisty former cavalry captain." Lisa replied with a teasing voice.

Diluc could tell Jean was uncomfortable and shot a dangerous look at Kaeya.

"With all due respect, Captain Kaeya, nothing is going on." Jean spoke looking at the floor to avoid eye contact. 

"Yes, Kaeya nothing is going on here." Diluc glared at him, giving the blue haired man chills.

"Alright, alright whatever you say." Kaeya sighed, though both Jean and Diluc knew he'd never give up the teasing on behalf of this event.

"Why don't we all have a delightful breakfast?" Lisa suggested.

"Sounds great." Kaeya grinned, clearly plotting something.

"I-...I suppose that would be nice," Jean muttered, her eyes still darting around the room and face flushed.

"Yes, I guess so," Diluc agreed.

"Wonderful~ How about we all go to good hunters?" Lisa chimed. 

}✧・゚: *✧・゚:*✧・゚: *✧・゚:*✧・゚: *✧・゚:{

Sara sat them down at the table and she could feel something was off with the acting grand master. Usually, Jean walked every step with pride, her movements swift, no falter in her words. But the Jean that stood before her at this moment, nervously glanced around at her surroundings, didn't take much pride in her steps, and stuttered. She stuttered, a lot.  

"Would you like to try our special breakfast? Pancakes with Val berry jam." Sara tried putting on her best smile, having chosen to ignore how thick the air felt.

"That sounds good, what do you guys think?" Kaeya asked, turning his head a little to look at the bunch behind him.

The rest hummed in approval. Now this wasn't a normal sight in Mondstadt, it was actually the rarest of occasions. Four of the most well-known people in Mondstadt going out to eat breakfast together, they were known as the busiest of people. Jean was thankful that it was early in the morning, and that it wasn't busy with crowds of people. 

Everyone ate in silence, but Kaeya decided that silence would do them no good.

"So, Jean, how's the work going? You must be awfully tired with all that's been going on. With the fiery Diluc Ragnvindr." Kaeya attempted to tease the poor girl. Jean's face exploded with red, as if someone had thrown a bucket of red powder all over her. 

"I...uh." Jean couldn't make out any words as the events from this morning played in her head on repeat, like a broken radio.

"Kaeya don't push it." Diluc gave Kaeya a look of hatred. Kaeya swore it seemed like Diluc's eyes were about to shoot daggers at him. 

"Okay, fine." Kaeya raised his hands as if he was surrendering.

"Uh... I heard the traveler recently got a house. She's hosting a housewarming party next week. Are any of you going?" Jean asked, trying to break the awkwardness that was this breakfast. 

"Oh yes, the cutie wanted me to recommend some books to fill her library," Lisa replied, forking a piece of the fluffy pancake.

"Paimon requested me to help serve drinks," Diluc added. "I assume Lumine asked all of us to come." 

"Huh, most likely." Lisa said, taking a sip of her tea. 

The rest of the breakfast was silent, no words were exchanged between the lot of them. Just a few nervous smiles here and there - the opposite of what Kaeya and Lisa were aiming for. Jean cringed at how bad this breakfast was executing out. Oh, how she wished she could just return to her work and pretend none of this happened. 

Diluc sat stiffly, avoiding all eye contact with Kaeya whatsoever. He hadn't really eaten anything, just a few bites and a cup of grape Juice; he ignored all the looks of disapproval and disgust Kaeya had given him. 

The sun had almost fully risen to the sky, and the shops were beginning to open up. He was well aware of the rumors that would spread if someone like Margaret had spotted them. He scoffed to himself. Mondstadt should have been called the city of gossip instead.

"Ahem, I thank you guys for entertaining me on this breakfast, but unfortunately my books won't organize themselves." Lisa finally said, getting up from her chair. 

"Yes, thank you. It was nice to have a break from all my paperwork." Jean stated, also getting up. Everyone present by the table knew she didn't actually mean her words. This breakfast was full of awkward tension.

"Very well, I will now take my leave." Diluc gruffly said, beginning to walk off.

"See you, I'll be off then." Kaeya grinned, saluting slightly with his hand.

}✧・゚: *✧・゚:*✧・゚: *✧・゚:*✧・゚: *✧・゚:{

As Kaeya and Lisa waited for Jean and Diluc to depart for their work, they turned to one another.

"Kaeya, I assume you already know what we're doing at the party," Lisa inquired, as she smoothened the creases from her dress.

Kaeya winked at her and grinned. "Yes ma'am. Playing matchmaker." 

Lisa nodded in response. "Indeed, our plan will be perfect." 

They exchanged mischievous glances at one another before heading off.