Chapter 5: Morning of Recollection

Jean woke up, her vision a bit fuzzy as she tried to recall what had happened the night before. She could only remember bits and pieces like having a drink and going home but nothing else. Jean got ready for business as usual, with the consistent aching pain in her head.

After Jean had finished her paper, she remembered the intern. The way he reeked of alcohol, how he dragged her across the house. And the way he creepily played with her hair in his finger. It all sent shivers down her spine as if she had just gained a cryo vision. Jean immediately started to write the general release letter. While Jean was set on firing the man, she didn't want to deliver it to him directly. He had slapped her, but Jean was still too kind-hearted to do it.

Then the perfect person came into mind. Lisa! She was able to keep the drunkards of Mondstadt at bay.

As she was finished sealing off the letter she heard knocking at her door

"Who is it?" Jean called.

"It's me Lisa." Perfect timing.

"Come in!"

Lisa entered and shut the door with a slightly concerned look on her face.

"Are you doing alright Jean? Last night was quite problematic..."

"I'm alright Lisa. Thank you for your concern. I hope it's not too much trouble to ask but could you deliver this to that new hire. I can't quite remember what he looked like but he had long brown hair and hazel eyes"

"Ah yes of course that was the reason I came into your office in the first place, I'll deliver it right away."

"Thank you, Lisa, sorry for troubling you, could you just hand it to him without saying anything?"

"Alright, Jean I'll be off now." Before Lisa left the office, she stopped and looked Jean in the eyes. "I'm... Sorry, Jean." Jean was confused as to why Lisa was apologizing.

"Why? What's wrong?" Jean questioned.

Lisa sighed. "None of this would've happened if I and Kaeya had forced you to drink." Lisa's facial expression seemed upset.

"Well, I agree that it wasn't right for me to drink, but you guys didn't expect that all this would happen." Jean smiled at her. Lisa nodded, looking visibly better, and walked away with the letter in hand.

It took some time, but Lisa found the man peacefully walking around the tavern.

"Hey." Lisa called out in a raspy tone of voice.

The man paused before slowly turning around to see Lisa staring with utter disgust at him as she reached out her hand to give him the letter. As she was walking away, she moved her head to the side of her shoulder, green irises flashed at him.

"If you pull something like that again, I'll make sure the knights have you arrested." Lisa paused for a second, seemingly in thought. "Or even better, take things into my hands." Lisa held up her hand and made sure he saw electricity popping around in her palm. The man was dumbfounded looking at the letter in his hand.

}✧・゚: *✧・゚:*✧・゚: *✧・゚:*✧・゚: *✧・゚:{*✧・゚: *✧・゚}:*✧・゚: *✧・゚:*✧・゚: *✧・゚:*✧・゚: *✧{

Back in the office, Jean sighed in relief when Lisa told her he had been dealt with. She continued her work as usual for another hour or so. She felt so stressed, her mind in different places, as she tried to concentrate on her work. She then heard another knock at the door.

"Who is it?" Jean called out once again.

"Klee!" The young girl giggled.

Jean slightly smiled, "Come in Klee." The young knight seemed to be a ball of energy and happiness, making every one smile around her. No matter Jean's stress at the moment, Klee made her feel better.

Klee rushed in with her usual grin on her face. "Hello master Jean."

"Hi Klee" Jean put down her quill pen to listen to Klee. She stifled a exhausted yawn, working while attempting to sober up was killing her.

"Jean looks sad." Klee commented. The young girl proceeded to raise a finger to her chin, usually meaning she was deep in thought.

"Klee will give Jean a hug to make Jean feel better!" She said, walking towards Jean.

"Oh, come here." Jean smiled, stretching out her arms to embrace Klee.

The two blondes shared a heart-felt hug. Once they parted Klee exclaimed. "Oh! Klee wanted to tell you something."

"Yes Klee?"

"You know how you told me to never keep secrets?" Klee said while adjusting her backpack.

"Yes, I recall."

"Well..."

Klee looked around as if to make sure no one was there making Jean raise a brow.

"Last night when we came home from the party, Diluc helped you get home then kissed you on the head!" Klee said. It took Jean a moment to process what Klee had just said before a blush bloomed across her face.

"H-he what?" Jean stammered.

"Oh! I just remembered that I promised Diona that I'd teach her how to make bombs, bye master Jean!" Klee said as she rushed out the door.

"Uh- I..." Jean attempted to make out words but they didn't come out.

"Klee knows! Don't be out too late. Klee will be back soon!" The young spark knight chanted.

Jean could not believe what Klee had just said, as her mind filled with things and- no! She had to get back to work so she could think of personal matters after.

The rest of the day went about as usual, with one or two citizens needing help, paperwork, and Lisa, Amber and Kaeya dropping by to check in on her.

All was going well and as she tried her hardest not to think about what Klee had said until Jean had realized it was 11 PM, the time Diluc would close up his tavern and- Jean began internally panicking.

"If Klee said it was true then..." a blush spread like a wildfire across her face.

"No! Diluc would never do such a thing. But Klee would never lie...No!" She might have remembered wrong that's all. Jean's thoughts were at war with one another. Then a memory came flooding in.

In her memory, she saw Diluc and herself sitting on a bench. They were sitting very close to one another. Then she saw the gap between the two closings. It seemed like they were about to kiss! But Diluc stopped them.

Jean's face was redder than anything before, had she really gone, no she definitely did...she went into kiss Diluc! Jean couldn't believe herself. What she had been thinking was completely inappropriate and it isn't like she liked Diluc-

Suddenly, the sound of knocking at the door had pulled Jean out of her thoughts

"W-who is it?" Jean said knowing who it was she has been hoping he hadn't shown

"Diluc" The deeper voice announced. 'Oh dear,' Jean thought as she took a deep breath