Chapter 4: A Night to Remember

How Jean wished someone would come to help her. She didn't know what to do, she was too drunk to fight. She kept on pondering on what to do, trying to recall the self-defense classes her mother made her take years ago.

She had decided that her only choice of escaping this assault was to scream.

Scream at the top of her lungs.

The man quickly covered her mouth, making her cries for help muffled. But the man was too late. "Quiet will you! Why are you so damn lou! -"

The next thing Jean heard was a blood-curdling scream. The loudest scream she had ever heard, archons above, it probably was louder than Klee's tantrums when she was younger. The man that had once slapped her now was letting out disgruntled whimpers and cries.

Soon enough, he collapsed on his knees onto the ground. Jean's face formed into one of pure shock. What had just happened?

Jean closed her eyes shut and took a deep breath before looking up from the sobbing man below her. She saw a familiar person, one she recognized immediately.

The first thing she noticed was ruby red hair, redder than blackberry wine that had been aged for decades. The same red hair she had known her whole life. Black clothes, able to blend within the darkest of nights. His hawk-blood irises, able to watch everything so carefully. His palm was stretched out, a blaze of fire between his slender fingers. 

Jean watched as he closed his palm into a fist, the fire that had ignited now extinguished completely, sparks of the flame disintegrated now flying around. Jean sighed in awe at his control over his vision.

"Hmph, all bark and no bite. Not able to even put up a decent fight." That was all he said, before adjusting his gloves.

"Thank you..." Jean spoke, gently rubbing her sore wrist.

"Of course." He replied. Jean swore she saw a glimpse of a smile embrace his lips.

Diluc called the knights to assist with the scene. Jean was surprised to how he was willing to rely on the knights for just a little bit despite the hatred he held against them.

Albedo then identified him as a lower ranked treasure hoarder that had snuck into the Serenitea pot somehow. The treasure hoarder was put into custody and was to be jailed up for his crimes accordingly by Kaeya and Amber. Apparently, Jean was not the only woman he had harassed. Jean shivered at the thought of poor women experiencing the same as him, some probably not as fortunate as she was.

There was a beautiful water fountain in the backyard, a statue of a fairy crowning the top. Strong green vines hugged the walls of house with trees covering the presence of the sky. The grass was adorned with a variety of bright colored flowers.

Diluc glanced over at Jean and noticed her bruised cheek and aching wrist. He then asked Jean to sit down on a bench so he could treat her wound with a med kit supplied by the Traveler. 

"Many thanks for this," Jean said, her eyes glowing brightly due to the reflect of the lamps. (let's count every time Jean thanks him.)

"There's no need to thank me." Diluc replied, applying an ice pack onto her wrist. 

"Did you notice that he had scratched you?" Diluc asked, rummaging through the box of medical appliances. "Huh?" Jean tilted her head to have a better look at her wrist. She realized the red mark left by the man. "Was it from his nails?" 

"Perhaps." Diluc mused, fishing out the ointment bottle. 

"Although, he shouldn't have touched you, he had absolutely no right to." Diluc said, anger slightly washing over his voice. If Jean didn't know any better, she'd think his voice also had a hinge of jealousy. But alas, these thoughts were simply her mind wandering off to places it shouldn't. 

"You're right. I'm glad you intervened." Jean responded, flinching a little as Diluc dabbed the ointment onto the scratch with a cotton swab. The ointment burned a little, like alcohol meeting a cut, but Jean didn't let it affect her. 

"Thanks again. I forgot you have a medical license" 

"It's nothing really, just something I had to learn over time through knight training."  Diluc replied. "And you also had to learned it and are able to use it to the best of your capabilities, don't degrade yourself, Jean." Jean hummed contently, trying her best not to burst in happiness at the way he had said her name. 

"At least the knights were efficient in one thing." Jean replied, a hint of sarcasm found in her voice.

Diluc then smiled.

It was the most gorgeous smile in the world of Teyvat to Jean. It had been so long since Jean had last saw a resemblance to a smile on his face. She had almost forgotten how beautiful he looked. The ends of his eyes wrinkle slightly, his perfectly lined up teeth finally being revealed in its full glory, and dark red eyes now crescent-shaped. 

"Yes, yes they were." He said, bandaging up her wrist.

Jean watched as Diluc grabbed the ice pack once more and leaned towards her face. Gently planting the ice pack on her cheek. Jean tried her best not to look like a pyro slime, but he was so close to her. His cologne being all that she could inhale, the warmth he emitted, along with how drunk she was, she was going crazy. 

"Jean, hold steady." He told her, as he bought up another swab with ointment on it up to her face. As he cautiously rubbed it on her cheek, Jean noticed that they were growing closer - mere inches away from one another.

Once Diluc finished, he looked up at Jean once more. Now their heads so close to one another, Jean could feel his breath tickle against her skin. And she was sure he could feel hers tickle against his. 

Jean was going absolutely insane. 

She looked as gorgeous as an angel. Her ruddy pink lips parted open, glistening. Azure blue eyes shimmering as they met his. Strands of her blonde hair ran amongst the Anemo she possesses. It was as if she was the inspiration behind the word 'beautiful.'

"Jean..." He whispered, before closing their distance. 

Before their lips met, Diluc pulled back. 

In his defense, she was drunk. She probably wasn't in the right state of mind to do something so... intimate. Her feelings were most likely not firm, she was probably just in the heat of the moment. 

}✧・゚: *✧・゚:*✧・゚: *✧・゚:*✧・゚: *✧・゚:{

The party was over, and everyone was going home to Monstadt. Diluc had volunteered to take Jean home, earning a few smug grins from Kaeya. But he just brushed it off.

Once he got to the Knights headquarters, he carried her up to her room in bridal style. Once he reached her bedroom, he placed her gently on the bed. He felt somewhat awkward to be in a woman's room at such a late time - especially that it was Jeans. 

Before he set to leave, he didn't know what caused it or what urged him, but he found himself growing closer to Jean. Resulting him to peck at her forehead. Cursing at himself for such lack of control, he facepalmed, hoping Jean would never find out. 

Little did he know, a young Spark Knight was peeking through the door.