1 - The Young Detective

Shuichi Saihara
Birthday: September 7th
Title: SHSL Detective (II)
School: Hope's Peak Academy
Organization: Future Foundation

.
.
.
.
.

Nobody calls me by the name I was given. It's an irrelevant detail of mine. People don't need to ask my name to know who I am.

Society knows me as "Japan's Youngest Detective," and "The Famous Kyouko Kirigiri's Nephew." Those are words I hear often. That's what everyone knows me by. A child prodigy; a genius. Someone who could give any detective business a run for their money. But that's not what I want to do. That's not what I want to be known for. I want to be Shuichi Saihara, the fifteen year old high school student who enjoys reading and puzzles. But sadly, he's never recognized. Only the intelligent, flawless young detective is seen by the public. That's who they need, and I can't do anything about it.

Being well-known comes with many things, such as attention, fans, and money, of course. But I shouldn't have those things. I don't want them... and I definitely don't deserve them. So what if I solved a few cases? Detectives do things like that everyday and are treated normally. What makes me so special?

With fame and money comes jealousy. You can't have one without the other. It pains me to think that I'm always at risk of being hurt out of jealousy. I already have been by the people who were supposed to be my biggest supporters. It makes me wish I had never gone down this path in the first place. I didn't even mean to solve that case so long ago. I never wanted to do any of this. It doesn't feel right to be living comfortably off of something I don't enjoy, and it definitely doesn't feel right for all the money I earned to go right into the hands of my parents since I'm a minor. The last thing they deserve is to be rewarded for things they didn't do.

I know I make my life sound miserable, but it's not all bad. I have people I love and trust. There's my twin sister Tsumugi... she's the most passionate person you'll ever meet. She has a very good listening ear and is genuine in all of her relationships. I also have Kaede, who's been our best friend since forever. She's sweet, energetic, and just an amazing person overall. She cares for humanity and always has the purest intentions in mind. The world doesn't deserve someone like her. There's also a peculiar student who lives down the street... his name is Nagito. He's odd and pretty mysterious, but he's a nice guy. He has a really soothing smile and voice, so you feel at ease whenever you talk to him. I'm so grateful to have those three.

Nagito attends a prestigious private school known as Hope's Peak Academy. It's the best in the country and among the top schools in the world. Their goal is to hone the talents of the most unique individuals and have them set for life. It's any student's dream. And luckily, Kaede, Tsumugi, and I are enrolled to attend this school year.

My aunt Kyouko and her husband, Makoto, both graduated from Hope's Peak at the top of their class. This sets the bar high for Tsumugi and I, as we are expected to continue their legacy as the "noble" relatives of the queen and king of the academy.

Yes, those are real things people have said to us. It's insane.

But who am I to complain? I know people who would kill for a life like mine, so I should be grateful and accept reality with open arms. I shouldn't feel upset. I shouldn't feel unsatisfied. This life is my own. I can't change whatever fate I've been assigned.

I can only put up with it for now, because this must be the path that is perfect for me.

Word Count: 658