2 - My Dear Friend Kaede

My closest friend is Kaede Akamatsu. She's been with me since the very beginning. We're next door neighbors in a wealthy community of few families. Her parents are well-known pianists and the founders of the International Piano Association, which is the gathering of world renowned pianists from every country in the United Nations. It's shocking to think that people who are so influential live right next to me.

Kaede and I met on the first day of elementary school. Surprisingly, Kaede had already been growing in the musician community as a talented pianist, and I had already solved a crime. Accidentally. But when we first saw each other, we weren't aware of the other's feats. We were just normal people who were coincidentally going to the same prestigious academy. I wish I could be seen like that all the time.

Kaede, Tsumugi, and I have always been a trio. We go places together and do fun things with each other. We're inseparable, which is exactly why Kaede is proposing a challenge to us on the first day of school.

"Guys," she begins. "I think we need new friends."

My eyes widen in surprise and Tsumugi blinks. "What? Why do you say that?!"

"We're best friends! But we're each other's only friends..." Kaede explains. "Don't you want to meet new people? Branch out a bit?"

"No," I murmur.

"It won't be that bad, Shuichi. And it's not like we're not being friends anymore! We're just expanding our group a little!"

"Well, I guess it wouldn't hurt..." Tsumugi sighs. "But it might be difficult. Who would want to be friends with someone as plain as me?"

"You're not plain!" Kaede and I exclaim. Tsumugi always insists that she's boring and plain, but she's one of the coolest people I'll ever know. She does these spectacular, realistic cosplays and is a professional collector. She really excels in everything she does, so why does she say otherwise...?

Tsumugi blushes, tucking a strand of her cerulean blue hair behind her ear. "O-Oh, look! We're here."

Kaede and I shift our attention to the window, which gave us a view of a large, jaw-dropping building with the height of a skyscraper and the width of a university campus. We're going to attend high school here...?!?

"This place is beautiful!" Kaede gasps, eyes glued to the window. "I can't believe it! Are you seeing this?!"

"Y-Yeah, we are..." I stammer, overcome with a sudden wave of nervousness. This school looks out of my league. How did I get accepted into a prestigious place like this?

After thanking our driver, the three of us exit the car and immediately make our way towards the building. Many people are in the courtyard honing their talents, reading, or simply chatting with friends. I spot Nagito near a vending machine not too far from us, talking with a mauve-haired girl who seemed invested in a video game. I also recognize my old friend Rantaro, who is eating breakfast with a group of friends. It's nice to see some familiar faces... they temporarily put my mind at ease.

Kaede, Tsumugi, and I share the same homeroom class. We arrive ten minutes before the bell at Kaede's request since she insisted that we went early to introduce ourselves to our teacher. Sadly, they weren't in the room when we got there.

"This is an opportunity!" the blonde grins. "We can get to know our classmates instead!"

"I don't know..." I instantly protest without reason. Kaede lifts an eyebrow, expecting elaboration she knew I couldn't give her. Thankfully, Tsumugi steps in to help me.

"Well, most of our classmates aren't here yet. Wouldn't it be better if we waited for them?" she suggests, smiling sheepishly. Kaede ponders for a moment before finally nodding in agreement.