6 - The Back of the Classroom

The rest of the day is more uneventful than ever! There were no fun lessons or student drama to keep me entertained... how am I supposed to keep coming here if I'm just gonna be bored all the time?!

I dozed through the remaining hours, hardly paying attention until just before the final bell. It begins to ring loudly, leading me to pack up my things hastily and dash towards the door. But before I can escape this tiresome classroom, I collide with someone entering.

"Ah, I'm so sorry!" they exclaim. "Are you okay?"

"Yeah," I say, biting back my annoyance. I raise my head slowly to be met with a familiar face, which is the exact opposite of what I need right now. It's the blue-haired girl Shuichi knows... hopefully she won't recognize m-

"Oh! You're the guy with the cool outfit!" she says, instantly shattering my chances of leaving as soon as possible. "I adore your style! Where'd you get your dice earrings from?"

"I made them," I reply, exiting the classroom. It only takes a few seconds for me to realize that I shouldn't have said that. She's the Ultimate Cospla-

"REALLY?! You like making accessories, too? That's amazing!" she chirps, keeping pace with me. "I'm Tsumugi Shirogane-Saihara. It's so nice to meet you!"

"Shirogane-Saihara...?" I repeat.

Tsumugi blushes excitedly. "Yes! You've met Shuichi, right? I'm his twin sister!"

"Ah, right! How did I forget that?!" I scold myself silently. I remember reading something about Tsumugi being related to Shuichi! Maybe if I become friends with Tsumugi, Shuichi will be more willing to open up to me...?

"I did meet him! He seems... sweet," I say to her. "Hey, do you want me to bring you a pair of these earrings? They're really easy to make..."

Tsumugi is practically beaming at this point. "Is that so?! I'd actually love to be taught how so I can make more in the future! Is that okay with you?"

"Sounds fun!" I say, forging a cheerful smile. "I'll bring everything tomorrow. Where do you want to do it?"

"During lunch in the library would be fine!"

"It's a plan!"

"Great! I have to go now, but I'll be ready for tomorrow!" Tsumugi waves to me before we part ways. This plan is going... surprisingly well. I can't let my guard down, though. I'll watch Tsumugi and Shuichi closely and make sure D.I.C.E.'s members are protected. And maybe...

...maybe I'll make a few friends...

┍━━━━━━━☟━━━━━━━┑
Time skip:
7:20 a.m. (the next morning)
┕━━━━━━━☝︎━━━━━━━┙

I head off to school with my jewelry box in hand. I'm not too excited about breaking off from my usual school routine, but it's a necessary thing to do if I want to ensure D.I.C.E.'s safety and secrecy. I'll be sure to befriend Tsumugi, and maybe the rest of Shuichi's little friend group, and make sure they all stay away from my organization.

Every day I try to take a different route to school. I love the thrill of discovering new shortcuts or debating whether or I'll be late or not... an early morning adventure is the perfect buildup to an entertaining day! Today's route cuts through the local park and through a few dark city alleys. It's not the safest route, but definitely one of the quickest! I arrive at school with plenty of time before homeroom starts... which means there's plenty of time to go see who's hanging around!

The first place I stop by after setting down my things is the cafeteria. Since it's early, the room is much less crowded (and noisy) than it usually is, making it ten times more bearable. I feel like I could actually sit down and eat here if it were always like this! That'll never happen, but a guy can dream, right?

I head down the hall and poke my head into the library since nothing noteworthy was taking place in the café. Inside, I immediately lock eyes with a certain green-haired goblin that I just have to talk to!

"Kokichi? You're here early," Rantaro smiles, placing his book down at his table and rising to greet me. I run up to him and leap into his arms dramatically. "Ran-Ran, it's been forever since I've seen you! Where have you been?! Were you ignoring me?!?!"

"Kichi, it's been less than a day," Rantaro chuckles as he sets me down on the floor. "Let's go walk around for a bit. I'm tired of reading and I'm sure the librarian doesn't want to deal with your loud ass." I glance over at the librarian who, as expected, is glaring daggers at me. I smirk and turn to leave as Rantaro leads the way.

Oh, about Rantaro... we've been friends for a long time! I can't say I trust many people, but he's one of the very few that I can confidently say I confide in. We met after Nagito introduced us in junior high and have been something like a trio ever since. Isn't that adorable?! Nagi is in a different homeroom than us now, but we still meet up as often as possible.

Anyways, Rantaro and I cruise around the school campus until the first bell prepares to ring. We enter the classroom about ten minutes early, and almost everybody has arrived by now. Shuichi sits in his seat quietly, buried in a thick leather book. He seems so focused on it... but why bother with something so boring when he can focus on me instead?!

"Shuichi!!" I call, watching the dark-haired detective raise his head suddenly. "What are you up to today?"

"Ah, just reading..." he replies, smiling at me. "Do you have any books you like?"

"Hmm... I haven't read a novel in forever!" I laugh. "I guess I'm into manga. I can tell you all about those!"

"Maybe you can give me a few recommendations," Shuichi suggests.

"Aww!! Are you interested in what I'm interested in, Shuichi? You're so cute!"

"W-What?!" His pale face quickly flushes, and my heart skips a beat at the sight. He blushes so easily! He's so fun to tease~!

"Shuichi..." I repeat. "Shuichi. Y'know, that kinda sounds like Shumai! I love Shumai!"

Shuichi blinks. "W-What?!"

"Yep! Shumai fits you. Mind if I call you that?"

"No, but... why?"

"Obviously because friends have nicknames for each other!" I say, rolling my eyes. "You wanna be friends, right?"

"Friends...?!" he mouthed. "...Are you sure??"

"I'm asking you! Are you sure?"

Shuichi glanced towards the back of the classroom, then back at me. In an attempt to follow his gaze, I let my eyes dart towards the back as well, but I don't see what he was looking at.

After a few moments, he finally opens his mouth to respond. "...I do want to be friends."

"Great!!" I clasp his hands in mine, just as I did yesterday. I want to give him a sweet gesture to remember me by. Now if he thinks about me all the time, it'll be good things only! "Let's hang out after school tomorrow! Meet me in the cafeteria, okay?"

Before Shuichi could respond, the blonde pianist from the other day interrupted. "Sorry! Mind if I borrow Shuichi for a bit?" I hadn't even opened my mouth to reply when she pulled the blue-haired boy away. I guess we'll just have to see if he decides to show up!

Word Count: 1231