𝐗𝐈𝐈𝐈 - 𝐬𝐦𝐚𝐥𝐥

𝐒𝐄𝐑𝐄𝐍𝐃𝐈𝐏𝐈𝐓𝐘; 𝐑𝐀𝐘

┌─────────────────┐

┌─────────────────┐

-ˋˏ " you'd be a pain in the ass if you continued to live another day. ˎˊ-

└─────────────────┘

.ೃ.

"will she ever wake up? she's slept through dinner already."

"perhaps she went into shock? that's why she fainted?"

"no, she was probably just overwhelmed. I definitely was, but I managed to compose myself."

"what was it she said before she fainted again? traitor, was it?"

"I believe so, yes."

"what do you think that means?"

"I don't know, why don't we ask her? she's waking up now."

my eyelashes fluttered as the scene came into place. I'm in the infirmary, both beds occupied by Emma and me. Norman sits on a stool between us. Ray is nowhere in sight. the two stared at me although we all remained silent.
          "I..." I shut my mouth quickly, swallowing a wad of spit before continuing. "was it a horrible nightmare?"
Norman inhaled deeply without breaking eye contact. "no... I'm afraid it was not."
           I shut my eyes tightly and sat up, resting on my elbows underneath the silk sheets. "what will we do?"
"it's obvious what we will do, isn't it?" Emma exclaimed. "the two of you are going to escape and hide out in the woods until I recover and join you with everyone else."
           I opened my eyes quickly, "we can't. it's too risky. they're more likely to have more demons lingering around the walls then, you won't all make it out safely."
"but—"
"she's right, Em." the albino cut her off, agreeing with me.
Emma lowered her head with a sigh. "I just— you— I don't want the two of you to die." she choked on her words.
"nor do we, but we still have until tomorrow to come up with a plan."
Norman nodded, once again agreeing with me. Emma didn't respond.
I exhaled slowly, "look. if we can't come up with anything else, we'll go with your plan and hide out in the forest."
"promise?"
"promise."
it went quiet again. we all sat in the silence, taking in every minute as we knew it would be our last.
"...where is ray at?" I suddenly inquired.
"he went to talk to mom. he'll return shortly."
I peered at them both, "are the two of you not angry with him?"
Emma and Norman both squinted in my direction. "angry? why would we be angry?"
I furrowed my eyebrows. "he knew Norman and I were getting shipped."
the albino blinked. "what are you talking about?"
"I saw right through him, I thought you did too. he looked guilty, didn't he? when mom informed us of our shipment? he stared at the ground."
Norman shook his head. "y/n... did you hit your head when you fell? Ray— Ray wouldn't do that. why wouldn't he tell us? it doesn't make sense."
"no, no. you don't— I don't— he did, believe me. ask him."
Ray walked into the infirmary, hands in his pockets. perfect timing. we all stared at him.
"what is it?" he asked nervously.
I glared at him. "Ray, were you or were you not aware that Norman and I were to be shipped?"
he stood silent, opening then shutting his mouth. "I... I was aware. I'm sorry."
I looked to Norman. he was speechless, as I expected. he turned around in his chair to properly face the ravenette.
"why didn't you tell us?"
Ray didn't dare look us in the eyes. "I couldn't."
"why— why not?" Normans voice hitched.
"because even if I did, there was no way to prepare for it."
Norman stood to his feet, his fists clenched. "but you still could have told us!"
"I was trying to protect you." the green-eyed boy shut his eyes, inhaling deeply in an attempt to stay calm. he breathed out, "I need to speak with you alone, y/n."
a scoff fled my lips. "as if I want to speak with you, you traitor."
"y/n." he spoke sternly, "it was not a question."
"what? are you commanding me what to do now?"
"now." he repeated, this time raising his voice.
I rolled my eyes and quickly raised to my feet, placing my fingers to my forehead to soothe the aching pain as I followed him into the library.

I leaned against one of the wooden tables, my fingers digging into the pine as I gnawed on my cheek.
"y/n," Ray started. "I know you're pissed."
I laughed faintly. "oh, really?" I didn't look him in the eye.
"could you at least look at me?"
"no, I will not look at you." I crossed my arms, looking anywhere but to him. "you're a traitor, you betrayed us."
he exhaled with a hitch. "okay, now you're just being dramatic."
"you're a bitch. why didn't you tell us?"
"I was trying to protect you."
"how is lying about my death protecting me?"
he stuttered, "I don't— I don't know. I didn't want to ruin your last few days, I guess."
"a part of me wants to thank you, but I can't. you piss me off."
"oh? I piss you off?" the ravenette snorted, "you piss me off. I can't stand you. I'm glad you're dying."
I blinked, my mouth gone agape. I knew we were both angry, but I wasn't expecting him to say that. "holy fuck, you have serious issues. someone could say one little fucking insult and you'd threaten to kill them." I raised my voice, now looking him in the eye as I wave my finger in the air.
          "oh yeah, like that's true." he rolled his eyes with a smile obnoxiously, mocking me. "you're so annoying. such a crybaby, can't even sleep on her own."
"you're the one who was always practically begging to sleep beside me." I shook my head with disbelief, not looking at him again.
          "that's it." Ray grabbed ahold of my hair and forced me to look at him. "I hate you. I hâte you, so much. I'm not joking around this time, it's true, I despise you."
I tried to hold them back, I didn't want to break. but I felt the tears swell in my eyes. Ray and I always fight, but this time is different. I don't like how he's shouting, it makes me feel small like I don't matter. "you don't mean that."
          he continued. "I never loved you, everything I've ever said or have done towards you was just a way to pass time."
I croaked, "Ray." I'm done fighting. I don't want to fight. I'm sorry, I know you were just trying to protect me. but I don't like this. why are you yelling so much? why are you so angry? is it because of me? is it because I'm dying? is that why you're mad? because I'm leaving?
          "shut up. you're so foolish, to think I could seriously care about you."
"no, I— I'm sorry. you were just trying to protect me, right? I don't like this. please stop yelling." I'm weaker than I thought.
          "I don't care about you. I fucking hate you. frankly, im glad you're getting shipped out, you're saving us all really by dying, you'd be a pain in the ass if you continued to live another day."
I opened my mouth but closed it, squirming out of his grasp and stumbling towards the door. I stared at him, but his gaze remained on a floorboard.
          "leave."
so that's what I did. I made my way back towards the infirmary. I really don't understand where all of that came from, it was so sudden. I guess since I'm going to die tomorrow, though, it's now or never.
           I don't feel safe anymore. Ray doesn't feel like home anymore.

.ೃ.

1327 words

1327 words