Chapter 3

Tubbo followed along with Quackity and Charlie down the main street of Las Nevadas toward a restaurant that still had black scorch marks around the doors and windows.

"How has the refurbishment of the Tubburger been progressing?" Quackity asked as they walked.

"The kitchen is almost done, we're still waiting on the new stoves to be delivered." Tubbo said, ticking off the items on his fingers as he mentally mapped out the floor plan. "I took the opportunity to expand the walk-in fridge and freezer and the pantry so we can offer a wider variety of meats and toppings. I've almost got the dining area finished and..." Tubbo froze, staring at the man standing on the sidewalk just before the buildings, his trenchcoat flapping lightly around his legs in the desert wind.

A jolt of terror ran through him. What the f-ck was Wilbur doing so close to his restaurant? Hadn't he already done enough when he and Ranboo torched it? Even scarier, Wilbur had that look of arrogant confidence Tubbo hadn't seen in a long time. He almost appeared happy as he looked down at the two men approaching him.

Nothing unsettled Tubbo more than when Wilbur smiled, especially the seemingly carefree smile he wore now.

"And what?" Quackity said as he made notes on his phone. He stopped a few feet in front of Tubbo and looked up.

This was bad. This was really bad. Tubbo could almost feel the crackle in the air as their eyes met. Every day with Wilbur around where nothing blew up felt like borrowed time.

"Hey Quackity," Wilbur said nonchalantly, as if they were the oldest of friends and he hadn't recently committed arson against the restaurant he stood literally less than twenty feet from, then he creased his brow, squinting as though examining the man. "Is that my shirt?"

Tubbo's brow furrowed. Had he heard right? He couldn't have. He looked over to Quackity and saw his face was bright red, his hand at his chin, fingers covering his lips, even his hair seemed to be standing up a bit more.

"Well, I'll be off, then. Nice to see you," Wilbur said, and walked off toward the burger truck with a slight wave and a flourish from his coat.

"What was that all about?" Tubbo asked.

Quackity's knuckles were white against his lips. "Hey Tubbo, how's your son? What was his name, again? Michael?"

An electric jolt of terror ran up his spine. His blood froze within him. He could easily see it in his mind, his house full of TNT, Michael held in Quackity's arms - Michael who was so sweet and trusting... and so small and weak. Michael, who was the heart of their little family. "He's fine." Tubbo answered, clenched fists shaking. Quackity knew what he meant when he asked that.

"Good. Let's make sure to keep it that way." With that Quackity turned and walked off in the opposite direction Wilbur just took.

"What the f-ck was that?!" Tubbo cried in exasperation when Quackity had disappeared from sight.

Charlie shrugged. "I don't know. Two days ago Wilbur who was dead and isn't anymore was standing at the tower and accused Quackity from Las Nevadas of being in his mine. I told him he was wrong, Quackity from Las Nevadas was with me the whole day and was not tired at all."

"Wait... what? What exactly did Wilbur say?"

"He said: You must be tired because you've been running through my mine all day."

"Oh, mind! You've been running through my mind all day."

"It sounded like mine, to me."

"No, the line is mind." Tubbo started. "Wait, he really said that?"