Chapter 9

Wilbur opened his eyes to Big Q's sleeping face. He reached over and gently brushed Quackity's black hair from his eyes. He was glad he'd made Quackity shower, even though Big Q was falling asleep standing up. He'd been so caked in blood and dirt it had taken almost an hour to get him clean. Then Wilbur had to hop in the shower to clean the blood from himself. There'd been no point in trying to save their clothes, it was easier just to burn them.

They probably shouldn't have shared a bed, but it was too late to regret that now. As furious as he was at Quackity about the attempted back-room deal, he just couldn't bear to leave him all alone. Not when he was in that state. He gently pulled Quackity's bandaged hand from where it rested on his hip and placed it on the bed.

He got up, showered, shaved, washed his face, and dressed as quietly as he could. He was just turning the knob on the door when he heard, "Don't go."

He looked at Quackity, propped up on his elbows in his bed.

Quackity's eyes were so sad, as if he knew exactly where Wilbur was going just as he knew no words would persuade him not to. Just as he knew what Wilbur would find there. If it had been Dream's blood, and in his heart, Wilbur knew it was, he was walking into a grizzly sight.

"The announcement of Phase II is this evening," Quackity said.

Wilbur nodded, turned, and walked out the door.

He would have done anything to shut off his mind as he made the long trek to the prison. There were too many what-ifs that led to rabbit holes burrowing deep into potential futures. There really wasn't any going back now, there wasn't a way he could just forget about last night, about Big Q showing up covered in another person's blood. Probably Dream's. He might not even be able to get answers to his questions.

Ever.

Because of Quackity.

The obsidian walls of Pandora's Vault loomed over him. Now he'd see if Quackity had kept his word. He walked through the main door. Sam looked somehow worse than Quackity had the night before.

"Sam, I'm here to see-"

"I know," Sam interrupted. "Follow me."

"Is he... Is he alright then?"

"It's this way." Sam began walking. "You'll need to leave any weapons or personal items with me."

Wilbur jogged to catch up to Sam's long stride. He didn't have a good feeling about this. He tried to listen to Sam's instructions as they went through one security check after another. He kept his hands buried deep in his trenchcoat pockets. He was in Sam's world now, it would be very easy for him to have a convenient accident if Sam realized who Wilbur was to Quackity, to him. He might conclude the silent partner might be better off remaining silent ever so.

"Get on the bridge. If there's a security issue..."

Wilbur didn't really hear him, he was too busy trying to catch a glimpse of Dream, but he didn't see him, only Technoblade standing at the bars, watching.

The bridge came to a halt in front of the cell. He stepped off. "Dream?" he called. In an instant, he felt a sharp object poking into his side.

"What's your business with Dream?" Technoblade demanded.

"No, it's fine, I've been expecting him." Dream's masked face looked up from darkness. Wilbur could just make out the outline of his green hoodie as he sat on the headboard of his bed. The bottom corner of the mask was broken and blood smeared it, but it still smiled brightly out at him. Beneath, the skin seemed strangely blotchy, not like a bruise, but not... right. "What took you so long, Wilbur?"