Chapter 13

Dream stalked into the penthouse as the last vestiges of sunlight disappeared behind the mountains of Las Nevadas. The door slammed behind him.

"Did you find him?" Wilbur asked as he poured himself a glass of wine.

"No. The wolves couldn't pick up his f-ing scent. F-ing worthless!" Dream grabbed Wilbur's glass and drained it, then flopped down on the sofa. "He couldn't have just vanished!"

Wilbur took another glass and filled it, then sat down on the other side of the sofa. "You know how Big Q is; he's surprisingly hard to pin down."

"You speak from experience?"

Wilbur reddened. He took a sip of wine. "Don't."

"Does it still bother you?"

Wilbur just took another sip.

"You really should get rid of that wedding ring. People will question whether you're able to lead if they see you're still hanging onto him. In the pursuit of your destiny, loss is inevitable. If they see you can't handle it, they'll never follow you."

Wilbur absently twisted the ring. "It hasn't even been two days."

"It should have been during the broadcast. It would have made more impact if you threw it at him."

"It would have made me look too emotional."

Dream tilted his head. "Yes. But the fact you made no statement then of your intention to divorce him, and that you still haven't, worries people. Especially when you're still wearing his ring."

Worries you, Wilbur thought. As long as Quackity was still in play, as long as he was still attached to Wilbur, or, that was to say, Wilbur was still attached to him, Dream would see Big Q was a dangerous wild card. He wanted assurances. Assurances Wilbur couldn't give. Wilbur set his glass on the coffee table. "I'm not going to divorce him. We'll need his money and holdings. I'll lose the rights to those if we divorce."

Dream was silent for a minute. Wilbur could feel his frown behind the smiling mask. Dream picked up a coaster from the end table and held it to his eyes, looking into the smooth, ocean blue crystal encircled in silver. He nodded. "Then we'll just have to make sure to kill him."

A chill ran down Wilbur's spine, his heart raced. He felt light-headed. He took up his glass, gave a partial smile, and nodded, taking a sip.

"You agree?"

Wilbur swallowed hard. He knew exactly what Dream was getting at. "Of course. If he dies, it all becomes mine." His fingers twisted his ring absently.

Dream was quiet for a moment. He put down the coaster and held out his hand. "Give me the ring."

Wilbur's jaw clenched. He was sure he'd gone pale. He felt the weight in his pocket and fought to keep his breathing slow. He forced a smile and took off his ring, dropping it into Dream's palm.

Dream stood. "I'll see you tomorrow." He pocketed the ring and strode out of the room, letting the door slam behind him.

Wilbur sat, his breathing came fast and shallow as his heart pounded. His fingers blindly groped for the ring where it no longer sat. He had to get a hold of himself. Dream was right, he had to stop wearing the ring and he probably wouldn't have if Dream hadn't taken it. He needed to move forward. Loss was inevitable. He stood. And then he promptly walked to the bathroom and threw up.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tubbo shifted his position on the thick tree branch, it bounced slightly under his weight. His long ears twitched. From somewhere to the north he heard a long, low howl that was answered by a chorus of others. Technoblade's wolf pack. He listened for the low beat of paws on the ground. The wolves were swarming the way to Snowchester, forcing them south. They'd been traveling for almost twenty-four hours straight to get away from them and he was exhausted. It was all he could do to climb this f-ing tree.