Chapter 11

Part II

Tubbo gripped Ranboo's shoulders, watching as Dream stared out at the rising sun, sharpening a pair of shears. There was no shudder under Tubbo's palms, no shiver or warmth; they were just solid, unmoving, as if they no longer belonged to his husband but to some object. It was all his fault. All his fault. He'd been so scared of Quackity and Wilbur as a couple, he hadn't even considered this could happen. Dream was free because of him. He leaned over and whispered, "Ranboo... Ranboo, I'm sorry. I never meant for... I should have listened to you."

Ranboo's ear didn't even twitch as it always did when he whispered into it. His eyes still glowed green and red.

"Dream, if you're doing this, let him go," Tubbo demanded.

Dream's mask turned slowly to face him. Tubbo tried to hide the shiver of fear that shot through his body at the sight of that painted on smile.

"No." Dream said and went back to sharpening the shears.

"What do you mean, 'No'?" Tubbo cried.

"I mean no. He makes a much better puppet."

"Is there something I can do to make you release him? Tell me-"

"Tubbo." Phil laid a hand on Tubbo's shoulder, interrupting him.

"What?"

"I need to speak with you a minute."

Tubbo glanced at his husband who sat so still and ramrod straight, he didn't even look like he was breathing.

"Now, please," Phil said.

Tubbo reluctantly let go of Ranboo and allowed Phil to usher him out into the hallway, passing Wilbur on the way. Wilbur who was watching Quackity with a look of chilling dispassion, as though he was anticipating the moment when Dream appeared in the black and white screen and gutted his husband like a fish. Phil stole a glance at his eldest son as they walked by.

Phil closed the door behind them, leaving just a crack open to the boardroom.

"This really isn't the time, Phil," Tubbo said.

"This is the only time we have," Phil replied.

Tubbo tilted his head suspiciously, narrowing his eyes as he looked into his adoptive father's face. He'd seen it look that way before, etched in worry, anxiety, fear. He'd seen it when they'd heard Tommy died. "What do you mean?"

"I need you to save Quackity."

Tubbo looked at Phil like a crow head had just popped out next to his normal one. "What? No! How could you even-? How can you even-?" He glanced through the crack in the door at Ranboo, sitting so still, eyes glowing. He could hear the sound of shears being sharpened. Tubbo looked to the ground. "Quackity did this to himself."

"I know. But please."

"He threatened my son! Did you know that? He threatened Michael! And Ranboo! Everyone... Everyone in Las Nevadas has been hurt and manipulated by him. Why would you want me to save him?"

"Look, I don't care for Quackity much one way or the other. But I saw the way Wilbur looks at him. If he lets Dream kill him, I think it would destroy any part of my son that's left. I don't think he could come back from that." Phil pushed the door open so the crack showed Wilbur, still standing, staring at the screen. "Look at him and tell me he doesn't still care."

Tubbo looked Wilbur over, he seemed completely impassive. A smile played at the corner of his mouth that had nothing to do with happiness. He knew that smile, he'd become familiar with it at the end of Manberg. The flicker of madness. Then he saw Wilbur's brown eyes and his heart fell into his stomach. He turned away.