𝟷 || 𝚜𝚞𝚖𝚖𝚎𝚛𝚝𝚒𝚖𝚎 𝚜𝚊𝚍𝚗𝚎𝚜𝚜

i

i. summertime sadness

It was late July.

The painted orange sky cast a golden glow over the quiet room. The open windows brought in the smell of roses and lilies from the garden and the breeze carried the familiar scent of parchment and old books across the library. Matilda sat, beside an opened window overlooking the grounds beneath her fathers' home. Her nose tucked in a dusty book in the empty library inside the quiet home. She'd gone through many books since returning home. Most days were spent only reading. 

Matilda had been confined to the high walls of her father's home. Or so, she felt she'd been confined. Spending most of her days alone and with no magic. Rueban disliked leaving Matilda for the long hours he did, but the Ministry was incredibly demanding of his time. Especially since the death of Cedric Diggory and the threat of Voldemort's return. And, because of her active role in the events of the last school year the Ministry had made it crystal clear that Rueban would no longer be permitted to bring Matilda into work with him. 

She only hoped this wouldn't jeopardize a future apprenticeship she'd been hoping for. 

Matilda hadn't seen much of her mother either. Harper was currently residing with their mother and David in the Muggle world during her time of grief. Matilda had written to her. Every day for a month, until the silence became telling enough. Harper didn't wish to hear from her, and so, Matilda stopped writing, and only hoped that maybe in time Harper would come around. 

Though her parents were careful in choosing their words with Matilda, and often withheld a lot of what Harper was feeling, Matilda knew, Harper blamed her. 

With a long sigh, Matilda shut her book. A cloud of dust swirling around her as she did so. The sun had disappeared behind the tall trees in the backyard, casting tall dark shadows throughout the dim room. The chirping of birds quieted as the evening air fell over them. 

"Tilly," the echo of her father's tone drew her from her thoughts. He'd returned home only a few minutes ago. She'd heard him appear in the kitchen. "You have a package."

Matilda's eyebrows creased together in confusion. She sat up from the window seat she'd been reclined in for hours now and stood up, on the hard flooring. She hadn't been expecting mail today, let alone a package of any kind. She'd just sent her letters out with Pluto this morning.