𝟷𝟸 || 𝚐𝚘𝚠𝚗𝚜 𝚊𝚗𝚍 𝚐𝚛𝚞𝚍𝚐𝚎𝚜

xii

xii. gowns and grudges

ϟ

"Potter! Weasley! Will you pay attention?"

Professor McGonagall's irritated voice cracked like a whip through the Transfiguration class on Thursday, and Harry and Ron both jumped and looked up.

It was the end of the lesson; most of the class had finished their work; the guinea-fowl that Matilda had been changing into guinea-pigs had been shut away in a large cage on Professor McGonagall's desk, Neville's guinea-pig still had feathers; she had been copying down her homework from the blackboard: Describe, with examples, the ways in which Transforming Spells must be adapted when performing Cross-Species Switches. The bell was due to ring any moment, and behind her, Harry and Ron had been having a sword fight with a couple of the fake wands given to them by Fred and George. Suddenly, it was not wands they were holding but a tin parrot and a rubber haddock.

"Now Potter and Weasley have been kind enough to act their age," said Professor McGonagall, with an angry look at the pair of them as the head of Harry's haddock drooped and fell silently to the floor – Ron's parrot's beak had severed it moments before – "I have something to say to you all."

Matilda, along with the rest of the class turned back around to the front of the classroom, each of them stifling a laugh.

"The Yule Ball is approaching – a traditional part of the Triwizard Tournament and an opportunity for us to socialize with our foreign guests. Now, the ball will be open only to fourth-years and above – although you may invite a younger student if you wish –"

Lavender Brown let out a shrill giggle. Parvati, who sat in-between Padma and Lavender, nudged her hard in the ribs, her face working furiously as she, too, fought not to giggle. They both looked around at Harry, as Matilda followed their gaze with a confused expression. Professor McGonagall ignored them and continued speaking.

"Dress robes will be worn," Professor McGonagall continued, "and the ball will start at eight o'clock on Christmas Day, finishing at midnight, in the Great Hall. Now then –"

Professor McGonagall stared deliberately around the class.

"The Yule Ball is of course a chance for us all to – er – let our hair down," she said, in a disapproving voice.

Matilda rolled her eyes, having to stop herself from verbally scoffing at the idea if 'letting her hair down.'

Her sister talked nonstop about the upcoming Yule ball. Of course, hoping that Cedric might ask her. The occasion meant very little to Matilda as she had much more important things to do than twirl around all night, besides, she was much too clumsy to be doing such a thing in heels and a gown.