𝟷 || 𝚋𝚊𝚗𝚐𝚜-𝚋𝚎-𝚐𝚘𝚗𝚎

i

i. bangs-be-gone

ϟ

The greyish-blue painted walls surrounded Matilda as the light placed above the sink flickered every other second. She stood, facing her reflection, tilting her head quizzically, studying the changes she had made to her hair. She wasn't sure if the changes were what she had pictured when casting the spell. Did it tell the story she wanted it to?

About three weeks into her break from Hogwarts Matilda decided that something about herself needed to change. She was changing, she felt older and much more mature. No longer were her pink, round cheeks pinchable to her elders, her cheeks had hardened, and her face angled out.

The first thing Matilda thought to change was her wardrobe, and so she threw out everything in her closet and filled it with all things new and different. But, after a week of going around in trousers and trainers, she missed her miniskirts and Maryjane platforms, and so, redone her wardrobe, yet again.

After changing her wardrobe failed to make her feel older, she tried to redo her room at her father's home. The once bright and glossy pink room had been repainted to a darker orchid color. No more sparkling butterflies strung about her room, and the stuffed animals that had once occupied her bed and been shoved into a chest and placed in the basement. Except for one that survived the raid, bubbles, her stuffed polar bear that Harper had bought her for her second birthday. Though the two sisters never seemed to stop bickering long enough to tell one another they care for the other, Matilda held tightly onto the stuffed animal she'd had for years now. 

Matilda had even convinced her dad to replace the furniture in her room. All of the pastel-colored furniture in her room that had matched her walls were thrown out while newer, more mature colors were brought in to bring out her orchid walls. Her bed had now been covered in a navy-blue comforter, and small, silver trinkets were places about the room. It was much more grown-up than the room that she had been sleeping in.

Even the new room soon failed to satisfy Matilda. Sure, the room made her feel older while she was in there, but she wanted something more noticeable. Something that people around her would see too. Matilda wanted everyone to see that no longer was she a child and that she shouldn't be treated as such.

Then, suddenly, while running a brush through her dark hair one morning, it dawned on her. She needed to change her hair. Everyone always used their hair to make some kind of statement, so why shouldn't she?

So, that same day she found herself standing in front of the bathroom mirror casting spell after spell to try and find the right style, knowing that she'd likely be receiving a warning letter from the Ministry about using magic outside of Hogwarts. Though Matilda always tossed them in the bin, she wasn't afraid of being expelled. The Ministry would have to be complete knobheads to have the brightest witch at Hogwarts expelled, at least, that's what Matilda believed.