Lies, Lies, and Oh! More Lies

Rowena's eyes flickered between us, while Grisbane impatiently whispered in her ear, glancing down towards the hallway. My knives were all sheathed and covered under my clothing, except for the one in my hand.

"What are you doing in here?" She asked us, while the professors behind us nudged her.  Irah, the schools Combat Master, was behind her. He watched us weary eyes, refusing to interject a single word. He was the head of Paris' tract, yet watched us with utmost detachment. We were done for.

"I- We-" I began, scrambling for an answer, but quickly cut myself off. I had no reasonable justification on why Paris and I were here. How could I explain why were in a closet, knives drawn, in the restricted section of the castle? Maybe Paris was sleepwalking, while fully geared in weaponry? Or we heard a noise, and came to investigate, despite being prohibited from coming down here? It made no sense.

"I-" I began again, before suddenly being cut off by Paris.

"I brought Eulalia here to be with her. Carnally" He proclaimed. If I were drinking something at the moment, I would have spat it all out into Rowena's face. It would be the appropriate response. A similar look of disbelief warped Rowena's own, dignified features. She glanced between us again, staring at the arm that was still, for some reason, wrapped around my waist. I quickly pushed Paris off, stepping away a measurable distance. If I went any further, I would fall through the wall.

I looked at Paris frantically. Mother have mercy. Mother have mercy. I was dead. I was dead. She would bind me, I wouldn't be able to feed Beastly because of it, and Sir Beastly would eat every student in this school. And then I was dead. Dead. Dead. Dead. Dead. 

"What?" She asked us, her voice deadly quiet. I turned to Paris expectantly.

"Yeah, what she said. What?" I hissed, looking up at him. Paris gave me a sheepish, embarrassed smile. His cheeks tinged pink as he stared between us.

"I learned that this Wing would be empty tonight. And, well, I thought it would be so much easier bringing her here, besides trying to smuggle her into my room" Paris justified. I watched the shock wear off Rowena's pale face, into outrage. My own eyes widened, stepping back. Dead. We were dead. Paris, as if sensing the change of reaction, quickly added on,

"I've been so upset since the death of Aline" He wiped the smile off of his face, sniffling, "I knew doing this was bad. I know. I was just so lonely. There's this emptiness in my heart. And I thought being with someone- I thought it would help"

He sniffled again. I watched as his eyes watered, the moonlight catching in the way they glossed over. He didn't dare look in my direction, instead directing the full intensity of his puppy-dog eyes at Rowena. I could swear on the Mother herself, that he began pouting.

"We don't have time for this" Grisbane hissed from behind Rowena. The corners of Rowena's mouth had turned downwards, but the furrow in her eye brows had softened in pity. It was an effort to keep my own mouth shut; my jaw was ready to fall off my face in shock. No way was she actually believing his act. No. way.

Rowena whispered something inaudible to her colleagues, before gesturing for the other three to go on without her. They promptly sped off in the direction of the Chudovische, not sparing the teenagers in the cupboard a second glance. Though the farewell expression Grisbane gave me, her eyes ink black, made me know her classroom would be spotless for the next few weeks.

"I don't have time for this tonight" Rowena said impatiently, hurrying us out of the closet and up towards where her office was. She rushed us down the hallway, speeding through the castle at a pace that I had trouble keeping up with. I didn't dare comment though. After several moments of prolonged silence, only the sounds of footsteps heard in the empty castle, Rowena stopped us infront of the double doors of her office.