five

There's an awkward air between Sapnap and me.

I think everyone in a ten-mile radius could detect it if they saw us.

It's been two days since our awkward little encounter in the bathroom.

Clay's also been working on making it up to me for not going on our date that night.

It seems like I'm being overwhelmed by pouting testosterone, and it's driving me crazy.

"Hey.", I smile as I hear my friend connect on the other end of the phone call.

"What's up?", my friend Hayden greets me back.

"Are you at work?", I question her, not wanting to be bothering her if she's busy.

"Today's my day off. Want to come over?", she offers.

"I'll be there in fifteen.", I grin.

We exchange goodbyes before hanging up the call.

I knock on the door of Clay's office, peeking in just in time to see him turn around and slip his headphones off.

They settle around his neck as he twists in his chair to face me.

"What're you working on?', I ask him as I move to stand right behind his chair.

He smiles as he feels my chin resting on top of his head, slowly turning around in his chair to face his screens once again.

"Just working on editing a manhunt.", he replies, showing you the timeline of his current project.

"I'm going to go to Hayden's. I'll be back later.", I tilt my head down to give him a kiss to the top of his head.

"Text me when you get there.", he asks before I shut the door behind me.

Sapnap is standing in the living room when I pass through.

He opens his mouth like he was going to say something, but I don't give him the chance before I'm out the front door.

I begin to play music from my phone as I drive, my best friend's apartment building coming into view not soon after I leave from Clay's house.

She buzzes me in the second I hit the buzzer, and it only takes me seconds to enter her apartment.

"Hey, bitch.", she greets as I shut the door behind me.

"Hey.", I grin at her as I lean against the entrance to her kitchen.

"I'm making mac and cheese. Want some?", she turns to offer some to me.

I shake my head negatively, not really hungry at the moment.

She shrugs, going back to stirring.

"It's been a minute. Trouble in paradise?", she teases.
"What?"

"You never seem to call unless your saint of a boyfriend fucks you over.", she wouldn't be able to hide her disdain if she actually tried.

"Hay, that's not fair.", I give her a look.

She works two jobs, so it's not often we can hang out regardless.

"Okay, okay, whatever. Who's that new guy you've been posting on your snap?"

It takes me a second to think about what she means.

Oh.

Sapnap.

"One of Clay's friends. He moved up from Texas.", I explain loosely, not wanting to get too much into it.

"He's hot. How do you deal with that?", she jokes.

My heart drops a little as I force a little giggle at her joke.

"Clay's enough for me.", I retort.

She just shrugs, digging through her cabinets to find a bowl.

I watch as she dishes herself up some food and follow her to her couch.

"What do you want to watch?", she asks me.

I don't give her an answer, so she picks some stupid reality dating show.

She doesn't really say much, just watching the show while eating.

Three episodes go by, and I can almost feel my brain cells dissipating as the show progresses.

I think Hayden forgets I'm even there until my phone starts ringing.

It's Clay.

"What's he trying to apologize for now?", Hayden rolls her eyes as I stare at his name on my screen.

"Hay, stop.", I warn before I pick up the phone.

"Hi.", I greet him after pressing the green button to answer the call.

"When do you think you'll be home?"

I glance at my watch as I attempt to come up with an estimate.

"Um, I'm not really sure. Why?", I ask, trying to ignore Hayden making motions with her hands for me to hang up the call.

"It's MCC today. I was kinda hoping you'd be here to watch with me.", he gets that specific begging tone to his voice that he knows I can't resist.

"Why didn't you tell me when I left. Earlier?", I keep my voice calm.

"It's been a couple hours. I'm not saying you have to come home. I just know how Hayden can be sometimes.", he mumbles but not quietly enough.

I have never been able to wrap my head around why they hate each other so much, but it's starting to get a little annoying.

"I wouldn't have come over if you would've told me.", I mumble.

Hayden's jaw drops open, and she shoots me an offended look.

I shoot her an apologetic look before turning my attention back to my phone.

"Okay, okay. I'll be home soon, I promise.", I assure Clay before hanging up on him.

"I cannot believe that you're seriously at his beck and call. He blew you off the other day, but you're just going to do whatever he wants still.", Hayden scoffs, shaking her head at me like I am insane.

"Yeah, I was a little upset. But I'm not just going to never forgive him. Besides, we're not really doing much here. I promise we can hang out soon.", I try to assure her, but it doesn't seem to work.

She doesn't say much, so I take that as my cue to leave.

As soon as I enter the house, I can hear yelling already.

I can't help but laugh as a triumphant cheer comes from Clay's office while a disappointed groan can be heard from Sapnap's.

Obviously, the game is going a little better for one of them over the other.

I slowly crack open the door and smile a little at the sight of Clay focusing intensely on the game in front of him.

I do my best to stay quiet as I pull a chair up next to his.

He mutes as soon as he is alerted of my presence, immediately scooting over a bit and pulling my chair closer.

"Hi.", I smile, leaning forward and giving him a kiss.

"Ready to see me win?", he grins.

You can only shake your head.

He's a Leo for sure.

Someone must say something to him because he taps his keyboard and adjusts the headphones over his ears.

"Sorry. Had to get my good luck charm."