chapter 1

"Is there anyone special in your life?"

━━━━━ ◦ ❖ ◦ ━━━━━

Ananya's POV

April

"Can't you just hurry! I can't hold my smile any longer," I said it painfully as I plastered a gigantic smile on my face. They took the picture after much hassle and all sighed in sync.

The chaotic family then dispersed into groups in commotions. I took my leave as well, towards my best friends, who seem to be in a rush.

"You guys are leaving already? It's my birthday, and it's only...9pm?"

"I'm sorry, Anu. Tanvi wouldn't go to bed without her proper lullaby," Priya referred to her 6 months old daughter.

"Akash has drained all his energy tonight. He needs to go to bed. He has school tomorrow." Jo patted the back of her son laying over her chest.

Sometimes I forget these people have their own family.

"Alright, you 'devoted' mothers, you all can go home now. Akash, give aunty a kiss before you go." I tapped my cheek with my index finger and he grinned after giving me a kiss. I ruffled his hair and wished him a goodnight. Jo's husband then took Akash and left for their car.

I returned to the living room with only my family and some close relatives chatting lively. Somehow, there's always a topic constantly flowing through their conversations, ranging from recent news on television to hot gossip in our family. I wonder what's the hot tea is about.

My mother's voice boomed loudly, "You think I haven't tried that method? It failed every time," Jayashree Srinivasan announced.

"Akka, perhaps this time it will workout. After all, she will turn 30 next year. You remember about my husband's nephew I talked about right?" Saranya Chitti [Jayashree's younger sister] joined in the conversation as well.

Welp, I'm at the crossroad, whether to join them or simply ignore them and go see what my cousins are up to. Before my feet could take me away, Saranya Chitti spotted me and summoned me. I reluctantly smiled and walked over to them.

Be calm. To be fair, we don't exactly know the nature of their conversation yet.

"Ananya, so have you finally given any thoughts about getting married this year? Don't take this the wrong way, we all just worried about you." Saranya Chitti had me trapped between her and Arthi Atthai. [My father's younger sister]

Just as I expected. It's like nothing seems to amuse my family other than my bachelor life. Before I could voice out my opinion in the politest way, my mom beat me to it.

"It's always the same answer, Saranya. She's focused on the job and doesn't think the whole marriage is actually her 'way of life'. I've been hearing that for past four years, she kept studying and took the teaching assistant job. All the while, all her best friends and cousins are married and have a family of their own." I glared at my mom with no one else noticing as she continued on how much of a brat I've been in the past years.

She's not entirely wrong there but that doesn't mean she has to spill each of those details while I'm present. Isn't it a basic mannerism to not talk bad about a person right in front of them? And then she will go do a lecture on how I should behave in front of people.

Like adding fuel to the fire, the rest of my aunts joined to share their so-called experience on how their children got married and boasting about their respective grandkids. How did I end up in the middle of this?

It's not like my mom doesn't have any grandkids. My two elder brothers are already married. Left with me, the youngest child in the house, turned 29 today and unmarried. My eldest brother Yuvraj and his wife Nisha have 3 children, Aditya, Hari and Thivya.