chapter 15

“These feelings are confusing.”
━━━━━ ◦ ❖ ◦ ━━━━━

Author’s POV

It was so early, probably the early bird hadn't caught the worm yet. Ananya dashed through the doors of the hospital, walking in a fast motion towards her friend.

“I’m here for whatever it is that you need me for. Everything will be alright,” she reassured her friend with a somber expression. However, the same sentiment was not shared by her friend who found to be sporting a stupid smile on her face.

“Why are you so serious?”

Ananya looked at her friend ridiculously, and read aloud the text she received in the dawn of the morning.

SOS! I need you.
Now! At Hospital.
Hurry
Pleaseee

“Sam, what the hell? I barely dressed myself and got into the car as soon as I read it.” Ananya grew irritated, not only at her friend for sending such wrong messages but also having to wake up so early in the morning unnecessarily. She probably could not go back to sleep, as she  ̶n̶e̶e̶d̶  have to go jogging with another friend in half an hour.

“Relax, Anu. It’s all good news actually.” Sameeha’s widening smile only creeped out the other girl. She started to slowly find the words to say, “I’m pregnant.”

Ananya’s eyes widened in shock and let out a high pitched squeal like a dolphin. She kept repeating the same words over and over, Oh my god.

“How far along are you? Is it less than 4 weeks? Does your husband know yet?” Ananya bombarded questions after questions in excitement. One might think they were talking about her pregnancy and not Sameeha’s.

The woman in scrubs smiled sheepishly at her friend and explained, “Actually, I should have phrased that sentence differently. I think I might be pregnant.”

Slowly the initial excitement left the young lecturer’s body. “What do you mean? How is that any diffe-” she stopped herself as the gears in her brain turned rapidly. “Have you done a blood test?” Sameeha could only look at the ground at that question. “Please tell me at least you have peed on a stick?”

“I’m late, like a week late. And I’m never late. Ever,” she tried to justify with the so-called reasoning.

It was an absurd situation which should have irked Ananya further, but she bursted out laughing. She found the whole ordeal to be ridiculous and insane, which is just like her friend. Soon, Sameeha joined in laughing.

“Not that I want to burst your baby fever bubble, but next time don’t call me unless you peed on at least 3 different sticks,” she advised her friend and added further, “And for god sake, I hope your child won’t turn out to be as dramatic as you!”

“Hey, that was uncalled for. That trait runs in the blood. And if he or she wasn’t dramatic, I’ll make sure they will grow up as one.”

Finally, their laughter died down. The nurse exhaled deeply before opening up the next topic.

“If that’s all the chaos for this morning, then I’m going back home now.” Ananya checked the time, deciding to leave.

“I do have a little gossip about your friend.” she smirked as she uttered those words. Ananya raised her eyebrows in curiosity. “It’s about Gautham.”

The taller woman rolled her eyes before asking what it was about. There was a new batch of surgical residents who joined the program this week, and a particular person from that group has been causing a little trouble.