chapter 8

"I love your hair"

━━━━━ ◦ ❖ ◦ ━━━━━

Ananya POV

A week later,

A displeasing ringtone accompanied by a constant vibration has disturbed my peaceful sleep. It's half an hour to seven in the morning- or that's what I think it is, and I have to make a conversation this early. That's it, I'm changing my availability to a strictly office hours only, even if the caller happened to be Sameeha.

"Anu, are you awake?"

Her question made me more annoyed than I already am. "It's barely seven am on a Thursday, what do you think?"

"It's seven thirty! Listen, I need a favor from you."

"Only if it's a 8 or higher out of 10 in the scale of seriousness, if not, then count me out. I can't get out of bed today." I fall back on to the bed, curling myself into a fetus position.

"Is it your period?" Does she have my cycle synced on a tracking app or something?

It's been six days, and all I want is to lie on the bed until I get hungry. Then I can think about leaving my cocoon. Without my medication, the pain elevates to a whole new level.

"Yes, and I forgot to refill my medications."

Sameeha, without losing a beat, proposed an idea. "I will help you get your prescriptions, and in return, you come with me to the hospital."

"Is it 'bring your kids to work' day? I'm not your child, so go kidnap some other kids." I'm not gonna lie; that is very much in the realm of possibilities with Sameeha. She does have crazy ideas sometimes.

Even in my sleep state, I can notice her deep breathing as she spoke seriously. "My appointment at the fertility clinic got pushed forward, and Madhav got pulled into surgery." Pausing for a moment, she continued. "I really don't want to go alone. Can you come?"

No wonder she was hesitating so much to say it. No one wants to be alone when they are about to receive life altering news. Also, it will only be fair if I'm with her after all the things she has helped me with.

"Of course I will accompany you. You could have led with this! Just one condition, I'm not gonna drive."

Driving on a normal day is something I really detest, added with these intense cramps, I don't want to be involved in such physical activity.

"Aama, illana ivange BMW'va glamour'ah odidu vanthuruvange. Normal days kudde, drive panne pudikathu unnaku." [Yeah, if not you will drive your BMW glamorously to pick me up. You don't even like to drive on normal days.] Clearly, she's mocking me.

She's the one asking favour yet she has the audacity to mock me,"I'm going back to sleep."

"Ok ok. I will come and pick you up, your Royal Highness." Another taunt for my lack of fondness for driving. I'm so not in a mood to reply.

"Alright, see you then." Switching the phone's position to other ear, I rolled over to continue my sleep. A suspicious feeling crept into my mind before I could hang up. "WAIT! What time are you coming?"

"Appointment is on... 9am and we also need to do your errand, so I will be there by 8am?"

Damn, that's early. What happened to the Sameeha who's always late to everything? I miss that version of her.

"So early! Come late a bit." I tried persuading her. I could probably get 30 minutes of sleep before she arrives.

"You need to get food in you before taking meds. We will go get something to eat."