chapter 13

“I want to meet Gautham too!”

━━━━━ ◦ ❖ ◦ ━━━━━

Ananya’s POV

Next morning- Tuesday,

The next morning, as promised Gautham was there outside the gate. His car, to be exact. He’s probably inside the said car. With his stupid infectious smile and that equally stupid glistening eyes. And wearing that excuse of a shirt which fits him so tightly like a skin, putting his biceps and broad chest on display. It’s a wonder how all the buttons are intact. Not to mention, the pants-

Wait, why am I thinking about this? Totally irrelevant details stuck in my mind. 

A smile began to creep on my face, when he lowered his window to greet me. Sure enough, that stupid smile was there. The bright morning sun felt very hot at the moment. In addition to that, there’s an unfamiliar feeling in my stomach which made me stop in my tracks. 

Breathe deeply, please. I had to convince my lungs to keep working. Inhale oxygen and exhale carbon dioxide. Look where you are walking. I need to train my eyes to not get lost in the little creases that appear around the outer corner of his eyes. 

Stop smiling too much. I controlled my facial expressions, but that is beyond my capability. I simply couldn’t resist smiling, especially after seeing his smile. Am I happy because I don’t need to drive to work today or it’s because Gautham is driving me? It must be the former, since the latter doesn’t make any sense. He is just a friend. 

“I believe this belongs to you.” Gautham forwarded a cup of coffee when I settled in the car. It was really cute, the way he held it. I already had my usual morning coffee, but I couldn’t possibly say no to him. 

“You got me coffee? Thank you.” 

“Wouldn’t want the princess to start the day without a boost.” 

I groaned at that annoying nickname. Gautham on the other hand was proudly smiling at his comment. “Stop calling me that! So cringey.” I feigned anger but the man didn’t sway at all. 

I opened the coffee cup lid, and checked it before drinking. The light brownish liquid surprised me. “How did you know I like it with milk?” 

“Just a guess. I thought you like your coffee how you like men,” he answered smugly as he drove the car into the main road.

My heart raced like a magnetic stirrer bar placed in a liquid on top of the hot plate; spinning, rotating and more motions all at once. I looked away outside the window, avoiding his field of vision. Based on the heat from my cheeks and the pooling feeling in my stomach, I’m very sure my face has turned red. Thanks to his glasses, my position is in his blind spots. “I, um, I’m gonna be late, late for my class. Go faster.”

“Shall we?” 

“We shall.”

His hand cupped the gear lever and changed the gear swiftly. The car gained momentum and he drove skillfully over taking the other cars on the road. 

For the first time in my life, I think I like driving. 

.

.
━━━━━ ◦ ❖ ◦ ━━━━━
After class,

The same old group of students reached up to me; Anjali, Preethi, Ajay and the rest are still confusing (constantly changing too). I can’t even reprimand them when they come to me to gossip. They score well in class and pay attention in class. Weirdly, for the first time in class today they seemed a little distracted- gossiping possibly- about something.