Chapter 8: The Party

Jenn's POV

By the time Lauren, Andrea, Arden, and I had left the house, it was around 8:00. A car ride full of sing-alongs and laughs brought us to the party around 8:30. It was our friend Maddi's birthday party, and though it was supposed to be a small get-together, I could already hear the voices and the loud music from a block away.

I pushed the already opened door back, only to be shoved into a dark crowd of random people whose dancing made me slightly claustrophobic. In search of one of my roommates, I immediately turned around, but was too late as I saw them heading off into the crowd in separate directions, smiles and laughter taking up their faces. I sighed as I turned back around and made my way to the kitchen- if I was going to spend my time alone at a party, might as well have a little fun.

My eyes adjusted to the bright fluorescent lights of the kitchen, as I picked up a classic plastic red cup, and poured myself a drink. Then another one. Then another one. And then another one.

After a while, my head inevitably hurt. I picked myself off the ground and headed upstairs, hoping to find some bed that I could just pass out on. However I ended up in the exact opposite situation as I stumbled into a room and found a few familiar faces as well as a couple strangers. I immediately recognized those familiar faces as Rebecca, Ricky, Claudia, and..

"Oh shit it's you," I said as I stared wide-eyed at Jack. My glance passed form Jack to Claudia, who was sitting on Jack's lap and glaring at me.

"Jenn, are you alright?" Jack asked, clearly worried.

"Crap, I didn't mean that," I slurred out, much slower than necessary.

"But I gotta go, because you're trouble," I laughed as I stumbled out of the room. Yup, that sounded stupid. Clumsily moving out, I felt a sudden warmth grasp my elbow and pull me into another room.

"Wow, a storage closet. How cliché," I laughed again as I turned around in the dim space, only to see Jack, once again.

"AHH!" I screamed as my mind comprehended Jack's shadow, "God you gotta stop doing that!"

"Jenn, you're drunk. What's wrong?" Jack asked, completely ignoring my comment.

"Jack are you in there?" I heard Claudia yell from the other side of the door.

"Yeah, just give me a second," Jack yelled back. He returned his attention to me, "Are you okay?"

"Don't worry about it, I'm fineeeee," I said, sinking to the floor.

A moment of silence passed as Jack awkwardly stood there.

"Well are you gonna join me?" I asked, bluntly looking up at him.

"Uh umm yeah, sure" he stuttered out as he took a seat right next to me.

Another awkward silence.

"So...how's Harrison?" he said, attempting to ease the tension.

"Good, he's in England so yeah," I cooly responded, though still clearly drunk. "How's Claudia?"

"For the last time I'm not dating Claudia!" he laughed, somewhat annoyed.

"Sureeee..." I said, eyeing him from the corner of my eye. "Why is there a girl that's somehow 'holding you back'?"

"Actually yeah," he responded after a moment, turning to look me in the eye. "Thing is she's dating some guy, and thing is, that guy's not me."

"And it's not Claudia?" I questioned, raising my eyebrow.

"Nope, and I wouldn't tell you either way."

"Oh come one," I said, playfully pushing his shoulder.