House in the Plains

Third Person POV

The company is runs through plains and across streams.

"Come on!" Gandalf shouts, the growls of the Wargs getting closer.

Azog and his Orcs are quick on their trail. Both groups stop suddenly when an ear-splitting roar sounds nearby. Beorn.

"This way, quickly!" (Y/n) led the way, being able to run the fastest.

As the dwarves panic and run, Bombur looks on in shock until he is pulled along.

"Bombur, come on!" His brother yells at him.

As they exit the forest, a house surrounded by a hedge in the middle of a plain comes into view.

"To the house! Run!"

The Company runs across the plain; Bombur, the biggest dwarf, outruns all the rest of them in his fear. (Y/n) watches in amusement as he runs past her. They run through a gate in the hedge.

"Come on, get inside!"

They run to the front door of the house; it is closed. Bombur, who reaches the door first, throws himself against it but falls flat on his back when the door doesn't budge. The rest of the dwarves catch up and begin throwing themselves against the door, trying to open it. Gandalf looks back as a massive bear breaks out from the edge of the forest and runs toward them.

"Open the door!"

"Quickly!" Thorin shouted reaching for his sword.

(Y/n), pushing through the dwarves pressed against the door, manages to raise the exterior bolt, opening the doors. The entire company bolts inside the house and they try to slam the door shut, but the bear has already gotten its head in the door. As the bear roars and tries to push the door open, the dwarves yell and strain to close it. Bilbo pulls out his sword and points it unsteadily at the bear. He is quickly shoved behind (Y/n) as she tries to protect him.

Gandalf looks on in apparent amusement. The dwarves yell as they press against the door.

"Come on, lads!"

With a final heave, the dwarves manage to close the door and drop the bolt across it. They sigh in shock, fear, and tiredness.

"What is that?" Ori asked. Shaken with fear.

"That...is our host." (Y/n) smiled towards the door. She'd always liked Beorn.

The dwarves and Bilbo turn to (Y/n) in bewilderment.

"His name is Beorn, and he is a skin-changer." Gandalf carried on, looking around the house.

Oin checks his hearing trumpet to make sure he has heard Gandalf correctly.

"Sometimes he's a huge black bear; sometimes he's a great strong man. The bear is unpredictable, but the man can be reasoned with. However, he is not overfond of dwarves." 'Who is?' (Y/n) chuckled to herself. Yes, dwarves don't have an amazing reputation in middle earth.... But neither did she.

The dwarves look at each other in dismay. Ori peaks out a crack in the door.

"He's leaving!"

Dori pulls him away from the door.

"Come away from there! It's not natural, none of it. It's obvious: he's under some dark spell."

Both Gandalf and (Y/n) turn to look at the dwarf in disgust.

"Don't be a fool; he's under no enchantment but his own. Alright now, get some sleep, all of you. You'll be safe here tonight."

The dwarves start spreading out through the house. Gandalf whispers quietly "I hope" to himself.

Time Skip brought to you by Thror

It is night in Beorn's house. The dwarves are sleeping all throughout the house. Bilbo, who was sleeping, sits up and looks around. After making sure that no one is watching him, he pulls out the Ring. As he examines it, a dark voice is heard chanting softly.

"Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatulûk, agh burzum ishi krimpatul."

[One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.]

Unbeknownst to him, (Y/n) was wide awake, watching in silent pain. She could feel the ring trying to reach out to her. Her anguish for the hobbit grew, fearing he won't know the consequences of the rings power....until it's too late.