Title your Story Part

I shot up out if bed and grabbed my crutches, it couldn't have been Bucky, he would have recognised me.

I hobbled over to where he was sleeping and took a good look at his face.

It was the same face from my memory. I wondered if I'd imagined it, if maybe the mystery man that committed treason for me looked a bit similar and my mind was playing a trick on me, but the metal hand was something so advanced that it had to be one of a kind.

It had to have been Bucky.

"What are you doing?" Steve whispered.

"I had a dream- more of a memory." I shook my head.

"I met him before, he saved my life." I stared at his sleeping form in confusion.

"You think he should have recognised you." Steve said.

"Yeah!" I exclaimed. "Why hasn't he said anything?" I asked.

"He and I used to be best friends, he doesn't remember that either." Steve shrugged sadly.

"What'd they do to him?" I asked

"What do you mean?"

"He was just a machine when I first met him, it was years ago, he was- for a while I considered that he might actually be a robot, he didn't seem to think or feel for himself." I explained. "He only had the mission in mind, nothing else."

"They brainwashed him somehow." Steve said sadly.

"Who? Was it the people that made that arm?" I asked.

"Yeah, we don't know much more than that, and I doubt he remembers, it appears that they wiped his memory after missions." He said.

"That's horrible, how could you do that to a person?" I sighed, I knew the answer."That was why wasn't it? Because he was a person, they needed to take that away." I shook my head, these were the biggest threats in the military, human error and compassion. That's what killed Frankish and took my leg.

"Yeah." Steve said sadly, I gently sat next to Bucky, his metal hand was gripping the pillow tightly an his face looked upset, I gently ran my fingers through his hair in a soothing way.

"It's gotta hurt, sleeping with that thing on." I said running my other fingers over the smooth metal.

"I don't think it comes off, I fought him once and it was just..."

"Too strong? He threw me at the wall on accident, when I repositioned his shoulder." I said.

"I knew something was up, the table too?" he asked.

"Yeah, wasn't his fault though." His face relaxed as my fingers massaged his scalp.

"Was he always like this, brooding and dangerous?" I asked.

"No, he was fun and happy." Steve looked kind of determined.

"Steve, whoever this guy was, he doesn't seem to remember him, you can't expect to have your friend back instantly, and sometimes; in cases of severe amnesia, the victim is never the same again." I warned him.

"But-" Steve began protesting but I cut him off.

"If you try and force him to be the man you once knew you could possibly worsen his condition, stress and anxiety can establish permanent mental blocks." I explained.

"But He's Bucky." Steve said, fiercely.

"Yes, and he could be your Bucky again if you play this right, maybe maybe not, it's really up to him." I looked back down when Bucky's real arm draped across my legs. "I am being hugged." I said with a low chuckle.