Kirby

It takes me a minute to adjust to a new source of light. I have no idea what I'm doing in a hospital bed. Dedede stands beside me as he offers a cup of tea. Still remembering the fight I had with Bandana, I refuse sadly. 

"You have any problems, Kirbs?" Dedede asks me.

I shake my head with a sad face.

"Magalor. Check if there's any damages to his body."

I notice Magalor nearby the bed with a mobile dashboard from his ship, Lor Starcutter. I also notice Lancer and June nearby, but sadly no sign of William. Dang. He would surely relate to the troubles I'm having.

"Not at all. Although there's something in his mind going on," Magalor replies. "Like his feelings been hurt."

At that point, Lancer walks up to me. I don't hesitate to fist bump him when he offers me one.

"So, you had a fight with Bandana Dee?" he asks.

"Yeah..." I reply in my Kirby language.

"Don't worry, Kirby! At least you still have us!" Magalor interrupts, "And that girl behind us."

I hear June shout a "I heard that." Then she comes up the to bed. She seems really different than what she looked liked when we were both in the streets.

"You feel okay? We gotta go investigate Day."

Oh yeah, now I remember! Day's been arrested! Although I don't know what they might do to him...

"I guess..."

"Kirby," Dedede says, "Able to get up, buddy?"

I think to myself. Maybe Bandana would forgive me if he visits? Back when that woman got shot, I overheard Dedede and Magalor talking about Blade Knight, and how he's some kind of messenger to Meta Knight. Would Bandana be with Meta Knight? Who knows, but the possibility of seeing Bandana again would give me a chance to properly explain it to Bandana. I jump off happily as I think about this. 

"Heck Yeah!" I say, which simply sounds like a yeah.

Magalor giggles. "Looks like he's all better!"

It takes a few minutes before me and June reach what appears to be a metal door swung open. Inside is nothing but a few soldiers (One of them is a Chilly, cool! Uh, no pun intended...) hanging out there, Day on a chair with metal cuffs, and Commander Jameson leaving, maybe scolding Day. I already got my younger helmet on me, with a cape that feels like it belongs to starman, and a gun & locket are on me. The locket I obtained from the waddle dee kinda resembles the Dimension Mirror...

"Hiii!" I say.

"Kirby says hi." Chilly tells Day. Looks like he's here for translation only, sad.

"You must be as thrilled as we are to meet again." June said. "Call it an act of extreme kindness that I requested you leg be bandaged up. I want to see you stand for your execution, and I won't have you dying from infection before I'm through with you."

Execution?! Nobody told be about that! Arresting the Republic's most wanted criminal is enough for me, but KILLING a guy who saved my best friend? I quickly protest, begging the sentence to be change, but ignores the translated words from Chilly.

"So, you're Day then." she continues.

Day stays silent without speaking. I give him a worried look. Maybe he believes Bandana that it was my fault?

"I suppose I should call you Daniel, though. Daniel Altan Wing. I managed to get that much out of your brother John."

He seems to speak up after hearing something from that. "Tell me where my brothers are."

"They are no longer your concern." June several steps forward. "Here's how it works, Mr. Wing. I'm going to ask you a question, and you're going to give me an answer. Let's start with an easy one. How old are you?"

Day angrily hesitates and says that he should've left us in the streets to die, which must've done something, because June takes a gun from her belt (It's similar to mine?) and smacks it on his face. I worry about this, and break the two apart.

"Now, now," I say, with Chilly translating, "the- there's no need for a fight right now! Day, please answer the question, or we're GONNA HAVE SOMETHING HERE!"

Something in my voice forces him out of it. "Fifteen."

I stand aside as keeps June asking Day these weird questions. "Were you responsible for the break-in at the Arcadia bank? Were you responsible for vandalizing the Department of Intra-Defense two years ago, and destroying the engines of two warfront airships? Did you assult a cadet standing guard at the edge of the Alta sector's quarantine zone?" Eventually, I was able to ask the questions, with Chilly by my side.

"Do you think I'd be able to live here without any help?"

"C'mon, kid, you seem like a strong fit from the streets."

"What do you think Bandana is currently doing right now?"

"Dee? Probably still angry about you."

"You met Dedede and Magalor yet?"

"I don't know them."

I give out another question before lending the last one back to June. "Do you hate me for what I've done?"

"Rephrase that." 

"Y'know, since Bandana Dee thinks it's might fault that I 'revealed that you were Day' to this girl, but all I did was follow her. I told nothing about you. Do you still hate me?"

He gives me a warm smile before saying no. Finally, someone who doesn't think it's my fault! I try giving him a hug for his appreciation, but he rejects. I move aside after patting Chilly on the back for his hard work. Then June asks the final question.

"Were you responsible for the death of a city patrol captain during a raid on the Los Angeles Central Hospital? Did you steal medical supplies and break into floor three?"

"The captain... named Metias?"

"That's right, my brother."

I'm shocked by that, and grab my gun to my hands, simple looking at it. I remember it now. My introduction to Metias and Thomas, the awkward usage of my gun, all my skills of flying, and alerting Metias when I saw the escapee. But seeing that THIS guy is the murder of my new friend? I don't wanna believe it.

"Don't tell me you were the one who did it," I say. Chilly catches it all and translates it, even my sad tone. "Please, don't tell me you did it." I know he didn't do it. He knows it too, right? Luckly, he does.

"Your brother," he says as he looks at June, "I didn't kill him- I couldn't have. Unlike you trigger-happy trots, I don't kill people." 

We all sit in silence. Then June motions to Chilly. "The prisoner in 6822. Tell the soldiers there to cut off his fingers." Even if Day DID do it, I'm sure Chilly wouldn't do such a cruel thing to someone.

"Yes, I was responsible for breaking in!" Day seems to be shouting now. "But I'm serious when I tell you two that I didn't kill him! I admit I hurt him, yes, but I had to escape, and he tried to stop me. There is no way my knife throw could've caused more than a wounded shoulder. Please- I'll answer your questions. I've given you answers to everything so far."

"Really?" I ask, even though I already know the answer. "Nothing more but a wounder shoulder?" A big happy face is now on me.

Unfortunately, June isn't so easily beliving it. "Maybe you should've doubled-checked."

"He was escaping, I don't think that's possible..." Chilly doesn't translate, for some reason. The metal door swings open as I say this, with Magalor there. He walks- er- floats towards us, and opens a portable dashboard. 

"Alright," Magalor grumply says, "I was enjoying my break, what do you need, you pink golfball and you month-name female?"

"Just open up the files for the Republic and find this guy's death..." June sighs.

"Lor, open files for... who's this guy?"

"Daniel Altan Wing."

"Lor, open files for Daniel Altan Wing's death using Republic files."

"𝔸𝕗𝕗𝕚𝕣𝕞𝕚𝕥𝕚𝕧𝕖." Man, something about Lor Starcutter's voice just reminds me of Bandana Dee... "𝔻𝕒𝕟𝕚𝕖𝕝 𝔸𝕝𝕥𝕒𝕟 𝕎𝕚𝕟𝕘. 𝔻𝕚𝕖𝕕 𝕗𝕚𝕧𝕖 𝕪𝕖𝕒𝕣𝕤 𝕒𝕘𝕠 (𝕥𝕠 𝕥𝕙𝕚𝕤 𝕥𝕚𝕞𝕖𝕝𝕚𝕟𝕖) 𝕗𝕣𝕠𝕞 𝕤𝕞𝕒𝕝𝕝𝕡𝕠𝕩, 𝕚𝕟 𝕠𝕟𝕖 𝕠𝕗 𝕥𝕙𝕖 ℝ𝕖𝕡𝕦𝕓𝕝𝕚𝕔'𝕤... 𝕝𝕒𝕓𝕠𝕣 𝕔𝕒𝕞𝕡𝕤?"

"Daniel is dead," Day chuckles, "I left him behind a long time ago."

"𝕎𝕖𝕝𝕝, 𝕄𝕣. 𝕎𝕚𝕟𝕘, 𝕥𝕙𝕒𝕥 𝕨𝕒𝕤 𝕨𝕙𝕖𝕟 𝕪𝕠𝕦 𝕤𝕥𝕒𝕣𝕥𝕖𝕕 𝕪𝕠𝕦𝕣 𝕝𝕚𝕗𝕖 𝕠𝕗 𝕔𝕣𝕚𝕞𝕖 𝕠𝕟 𝕥𝕙𝕖 𝕤𝕥𝕖𝕖𝕥𝕤. 𝔽𝕚𝕧𝕖 𝕪𝕖𝕒𝕣𝕤 𝕞𝕒𝕜𝕖𝕤 𝕚𝕥 𝕤𝕖𝕖𝕞 𝕝𝕚𝕜𝕖 𝕪𝕠𝕦 𝕘𝕣𝕖𝕨 𝕦𝕤𝕖𝕕 𝕥𝕠 𝕘𝕖𝕥𝕥𝕚𝕟𝕘 𝕒𝕨𝕒𝕪 𝕗𝕣𝕠𝕞 𝕥𝕙𝕚𝕟𝕘𝕤. 𝕌𝕟𝕗𝕠𝕣𝕥𝕦𝕟𝕒𝕥𝕖𝕝𝕪, 𝕪𝕠𝕦 𝕝𝕖𝕥 𝕪𝕠𝕦𝕣 𝕘𝕦𝕒𝕣𝕕 𝕕𝕠𝕨𝕟, 𝕒𝕟𝕕 𝕥𝕙𝕚𝕤 𝕟𝕚𝕔𝕖 𝕪𝕠𝕦𝕟𝕘 𝕝𝕒𝕕𝕪 𝕒𝕣𝕣𝕖𝕤𝕥𝕖𝕕 𝕪𝕠𝕦. 𝕐𝕠𝕦 𝕖𝕧𝕖𝕣 𝕨𝕠𝕣𝕜 𝕗𝕠𝕣 𝕒𝕟𝕪𝕠𝕟𝕖, 𝕝𝕚𝕜𝕖 𝕥𝕙𝕖 ℙ𝕒𝕥𝕣𝕚𝕠𝕥𝕤?" Something's wrong, I can sense excitement out of Lor from that last sentence. What does it mean? Surely nothing bad, right?

Day shakes his head. "No. They've tried recruiting me before, but I prefer to work alone."

I speak up with a translating Chilly. "Well, what about those labor camps? How'd you escape them?"

June interrupts me. "Yeah, and how did you end up terrorizing Los Angeles when you should've been working for the Republic"

"What does it matter? I'm here now," he replies.

Something had snapped into June's mind, because she just kicks Day's chair until it can't go flying anymore, and then slams his head against the wall. Magalor and I try to cut it off.

"I'll tell you why it matters," she hisses at him, "It matters because if you haven't escaped, my brother would be alive right now. And I want to make sure no other filthy street con assigned to labor camps escapes the system - so that this scenario won't play out again."

Chilly is trying to stuff some cloth to gag Day before he could say anything else, but he keeps missing. "Oh, is that all you're worried about? A bunch of renegade Trial takers who managed to escape their deaths? Those ten-year-olds are a dangerous bunch, yeah? I'm telling you that you guys got your facts wrong. I didn't kill your brother. But you killed my mother. You might as well have held the gun to her head?"

For some reason, I get shocked like somebody hit the Zap Weapon a couple of times. The taste of the bullet from that night when we arrested Day appears in my mouth too. No idea what's going on, and Magalor picks me up, worried that something happened.

"Something happened, didn't it?" Magalor asks me. I have absolutely no idea what's going on, so I shrug. By now, June had calmed down. She gets a bit closer to Day's ear, but nobody else is able to listen closely to understand fully.

"𝕐𝕖𝕖𝕤𝕙, 𝕒𝕟𝕕 𝕀 𝕥𝕙𝕠𝕦𝕘𝕙 𝕄𝕒𝕘𝕒𝕝𝕠𝕣 𝕨𝕒𝕤 𝕥𝕙𝕖 𝕔𝕣𝕒𝕫𝕪 𝕠𝕟𝕖," Lor quietly says to me.

"That'll do for now," June says as she straightens herself and turns away. 

Day interrupts. "Wait. Is she alive? What'd you do with her?"

I knew immediately he's talking about Tess.

"I don't know," I say before June even starts, "but hopefully she's ok."

"𝕃𝕖𝕥 𝕞𝕖 𝕣𝕖𝕒𝕕 𝕥𝕙𝕖 𝕘𝕚𝕣𝕝'𝕤 𝕞𝕚𝕟𝕕... 𝔹𝕒𝕤𝕖𝕕 𝕠𝕟 𝕙𝕖𝕣 𝕡𝕠𝕤𝕚𝕥𝕚𝕠𝕟, 𝕤𝕙𝕖'𝕤 𝕘𝕠𝕟𝕟𝕒 𝕥𝕖𝕝𝕝 𝕪𝕠𝕦..." It makes a little 3D pointing arrow. "...𝕥𝕠 𝕨𝕚𝕥𝕙𝕙𝕠𝕝𝕕 𝕨𝕒𝕥𝕖𝕣 𝕗𝕣𝕠𝕞 𝔻𝕒𝕟𝕚𝕖𝕝 𝕗𝕠𝕣 𝕥𝕙𝕖 𝕣𝕖𝕤𝕥 𝕠𝕗 𝕥𝕙𝕖 𝕕𝕒𝕪 𝕒𝕟𝕕 𝕥𝕙𝕣𝕠𝕨 𝕙𝕚𝕞 𝕚𝕟𝕥𝕠 𝕒 𝕔𝕖𝕝𝕝 𝕒𝕥 𝕥𝕙𝕖 𝕖𝕟𝕕 𝕠𝕗 𝕥𝕙𝕚𝕤 𝕙𝕒𝕝𝕝. 𝕀𝕥 𝕔𝕠𝕦𝕝𝕕 𝕓𝕖 𝕡𝕠𝕤𝕤𝕚𝕓𝕝𝕖 𝕥𝕙𝕒𝕥 𝕙𝕖'𝕝𝕝 𝕓𝕖 𝕥𝕖𝕞𝕡𝕖𝕣𝕒𝕞𝕖𝕟𝕥𝕒𝕝 𝕚𝕟 𝕥𝕙𝕖 𝕞𝕠𝕣𝕟𝕚𝕟𝕘."

"How'd you-"

"𝔸𝕘𝕒𝕚𝕟, 𝕡𝕠𝕤𝕚𝕥𝕚𝕠𝕟, 𝕤𝕨𝕖𝕖𝕥𝕪."

Magalor stays behind as June and I walk out. I wonder what he'll do to him?