One - The Sinking Boat

"It's absolutely scrumptious, babe!" Hye Jin cried as she savoured a mouthful of cake. "You must try the banana fosters."

Jeong Hyeok smiled at her excitement as she indulged herself in a second bite. He playfully took the fork from her hand and scooped up a mouthful of the confection.

"Hey! Get your own fork, mister." she scolded lightheartedly, snatching the utensil back, glaring at him.

"Whatever happened to what's yours is mine?" he teased.

"That doesn't apply to patisserie."

"But you love me anyway," he grinned forward flirtatiously for just a moment before relaxing back into his seat. "And the cake is delicious," he told her. "But are you sure you don't want to go with something more traditional?"

"Traditional is boring," she pooh-poohed, waving her hand dismissively. "I am one of a kind and my wedding will be as well."

"Valid point," he chuckled. "No one can accuse you of being a follower. And I definitely like the cake."

"Plus, bananas are yellow and gold is one of our colours so the decoration will fit. I think we should add it to the shortlist along with the chocolate truffle champagne cake."

"Well then, it's on the list," he capitulated easily.

A French pop song interrupted their banter. Hye Jin looked down at her phone with a groan. "A girl's work is never done," she said with an annoyed shake of her head. "It's my father. He needs me in a meeting with some drones from the NHS. There's some sort of problem with the paperwork on our new anti-neoplastic. If they hold up the UK release of this drug it will cost us millions. I've got to get things over."

"When you gotta go, you gotta go."

"You're not disappointed that I've got to cut our tasting short," she asked? A hint of worry crossed her usually self-assured façade.

"I'm always disappointed when you leave me," he replied smoothly, "But that's just the price I've got to pay for being engaged to such an important person."

"Such a charmer," she flashed a broad smile, showcasing her blindingly white teeth. "You'll be home for supper?" she inquired.

"Will you?" he laughed.

Hye Jin rolled her eyes. "I guess that's up to the nice men at the National Health Service."

"I'll have my speciality waiting for you, whenever you get home," he offered.

"Take out from PeraBell's?" she inquired.

"Only the best for my girl." Hye Jin giggled merrily as she got up from the table.

"See you tonight, my love.!" She gathered up her things, leaning down to give him a peck on the cheek.

He watched with a smile as she rushed out of the bakery, leaning back with a contented sigh. Things were good. His life was finally back on track. It had been almost six months since he realized he needed to move on from Yoon Se Ri.

He had thrown himself completely into his relationship with Hye Jin and things were moving along nicely. Wedding plans were finally moving forward, with the wedding date set for New Year's Eve-a mere seven months away. A drop in the bucket compared to the year and a half they had already been engaged.

Se Ri had asked him if he was really going to marry Hye Jin, that night at the tango club. That's the dynastic plan, he told her. Only it wasn't entirely true. He had always downplayed his relationship with Hye Jin on the rare occasions that it came up with Se Ri. And so, when Se Ri asked him, he'd framed his answer as such, partly in an attempt not to hurt her, and partly in a desperate hope that Se Ri would tell him not to do it.