Thirty - Obsolete

He pushed open the door of the therapist's office and before he could even step foot inside, Se Ri came barreling at him as she threw herself into his embrace. He wrapped his arms around her tightly, breathing in the scent of her, a sense of calm washing over him. He had gotten home from London late on Sunday, then he'd had to work all day yesterday, so this was the first he was seeing her since he'd left for his trip a week ago.

"You're here!" she squealed excitedly. He missed greetings like these.

And truth to be told, he was just happy to see her. It had killed him, being away from her for so long, though he had to admit, a part of him was glad that the first he was seeing her was in Seo Yeon's office at their therapy session. He knew he needed to tell her about his run-in with Hye Jin, and he wasn't all that confident about how she would take it. He had done nothing wrong, but still, Se Ri had just started to feel secure in herself and their relationship. He didn't want her to worry when there was nothing to be worried about. He cared about Hye Jin, he always would. But Se Ri was the one he was in love with.

"So, I see you're kind of neutral on the whole 'me being home' thing," he chuckled.

"I missed you, you idiot," she said, shoving him playfully on the shoulder. "No need to make a big deal about it."

"Says the woman who did a flying leap into my arms like Baby at the end of Dirty Dancing."

"Yeah, well, you don't have Patrick Swayze's moves, but you'll do."

"I mean, who can compare to Swayze, right?" he grinned. "But as long as you're settling for me..." He leaned in to place a welcoming kiss on her mouth.

"Three weeks without me and you two are literally attached at the lips," a voice broke their reunion. "You're making me feel obsolete."

He noticed Se Ri's face blush red as he pulled back. "To be fair," he said, turning to face Seo Yeon, "we were apart for a week of it... and as they say, absence really does make the heart grow fonder. But the good news is," he grabbed Se Ri's hand, giving it a squeeze. "We are moving in together. So I am pretty sure there will be plenty of arguments for you to mediate again very soon."

He could feel Se Ri's gaze glaring into the side of his head at that last comment.

"Congratulations," Seo Yeon replied warmly. That was good. She didn't say 'hell no', or immediately tell them they were idiots for even contemplating taking such a big step. "Come in," she ushered them out of the waiting room and into the inner sanctum that was her office. "Tell me about it."

He and Se Ri situated themselves on the sofa, right next to one another so that they were touching, Se Ri laced her fingers with his in his lap.

"So, big step," Seo Yeon observed once they were all settled. "What, may I inquire, made you decide to take it?"

"Se Ri asked," Jeong Hyeok informed her matter-of-factly. That was all it took as far as he was concerned. For her to ask. For her to put herself out there and show him she was as committed to this as he was. That was all he wanted... all he'd ever wanted.

"Se Ri asked?" Seo Yeon replied, her eyebrow raised with surprise. "Really?"

"Well, you know me," Se Ri shrugged. "Ever the spontaneous one."

Seo Yeon chuckled. "Yes, that's exactly how I would describe you. And just how many pro-con lists did it take you to spontaneously make this decision?"

"None, actually."

"Well, colour me impressed. What brought about this sudden bout of impulsiveness?"

"I guess..." Se Ri turned her face to look at him and smiled. "Well, we were in Jeju for Christmas and we were in bed and suddenly I thought about us being partners. I just suddenly realised that... Me and him and our daughter, together. It just feels right. And I don't have to be afraid of being taken care of, that... that we would take care of each other."