Eight - Lawyers

"Pyeonosanim, your 6 o'clock is here," the petite, perfectly coiffed woman at the semi-circular desk spoke into the wireless headset she wore. She was silent for a beat while she waited for a reply from the other side. "He said to send you up," she told Jeong Hyeok, pointing towards a bank of elevators to her right. 22nd floor. Someone will meet you there."

"Thank you," Jeong Hyeok headed the way she had pointed. He got onto the elevator and pressed the button for Seung Joon's floor. When the doors slid open, he saw his friend waiting, a sympathetic smile on his face.

"Hey there!" Seung Joon greeted, reaching out a hand to shake and pulling Jeong Hyeok in for an acceptably manly bro-hug. "How are you holding up?"

Jeong Hyeok took a deep breath, shaking his head. "I don't even know," he admitted. "Everything is so..." he shrugged, at loss for words to describe what everything was.

"I hear you," Seung Joon commiserated. "I can't even imagine... Well, I mean, I think we've all technically imagined what it would be like to find out we've got an illegitimate child out there. Hell, it's Chi Su's entire goal in life..." he continued to babble. Jeong Hyeok glared at him with narrowed eyes, "What?"

"Eun Jung is not illegitimate," he growled.

"Well, actually--" Seung Joon began to argue but quickly realised it was best to keep his mouth shut. "Hong Pyeonosanim is waiting for us in the conference room," he switched tracts. He led Jeong Hyeok down to the hall to a small, well-decorated room. A long mahogany table was surrounded by eight leather-bound chairs. Cardboard boxes with Chinese writing were set out next to stacks of plastics plates, and little packets of duck sauce and spicy mustard.

A man stood up from one of the chairs to greet them. "I am Hong Jong Hyun, one of the partners here at Lee & Ko. You must be Ri Jeong Hyeok," he said, holding out his hand to shake.

"Nice to meet you," Jeong Hyeok returned the greeting, taking a seat at the table.

Seung Joon sat next to him, reaching for the Chinese containers and breaking them apart.

"Congratulations on the birth of your daughter," Hong started. "Seung Joon has given me a little background on your situation. I am sure it must be difficult for you, but still..."

"Thank you."

"Should we get right to business, or would you like to have something to eat first?"

"Hyung, stop being so damn polite," Seung Joon told his partner, dipping a pair of chopsticks right into a container of food. "Jeong Hyeok doesn't like being kowtowed to."

"I am a skilled multitasker," Jeong Hyeok added. "I can eat and have a conversation at the same time."

"Right," Hong agreed, relaxing slightly. "Business it is, then. I hear you live in London?"

"Not for long." Jeong Hyeok informed him. "I have every intention of being as close to my daughter as possible." Jeong Hyeok took the pepper steak from Seung Joon and emptied some onto a plate as he spoke. He missed Seoul Chinese Food. And he was hungry. He hadn't eaten much in the last few days.

"So you'll be relocating to Seoul?" Hong asked for verification.

"Yes."

"Do you have employment secured?"

"I hope to get a transfer and continue my current job, but if things don't work out, finances won't be a problem." Jeong Hyeok picked up a dumpling, dunking it in some soy sauce and taking a bite.

"Are you sure?"

Jeong Hyeok laughed. "Yes, I am sure."

"Do you have any financial statements to back that up?"