Chapter Five

Chapter Five

Greyson

I'm waiting for Zed in my Jeep, listening to LIES GREED MISERY  by Linkin Park.

Nova's in my damn head, and I've only seen her twice.

The way she looked at me earlier...

She really has no idea who I am.

I ditched the rest of my classes. I shouldn't be doing that but the senioritis has kicked in and I don't give a fuck anymore.

I completed all my credits last semester; these classes are simply to fill my schedule. I don't need them.

Zed on the other hand is barely scraping by, and if he wants to graduate in two months, he has to have perfect attendance or a doctor's note.

"You ditched today?"

"Yep."

"Man, wish I could."

"You could if you wouldn't have ditched so much last year."

"Yeah, yeah. Fuck school. I'm ready to get out of here and never step foot in a classroom again."

I shake my head at him.

I don't consider myself a scholar, but I made a promise to someone that I would try my best.

I make good grades and I intend to go to college in the fall.

Some promises you have to keep.

"My house and drinks?"

"I have a different plan."

"What's that?"

"I want to go see what Caleb is up to."

"Shit. Really? We haven't done anything to him in months."

"That was before his little girlfriend came to town. I have new ideas now."

For two years, off and on, we've found small ways to make his life miserable.

Popping a tire, egging the house, sending pictures of him doing random daily tasks from an anonymous number.

If it were up to me, I'd lock him away in a basement and torture him a few days before finishing him off.

Our little pranks aren't enough.

But murder is generally frowned upon.

The stupid things we've done don't make me feel any better. I'm no closer to justice after we've done them than I was when we started. 

Frankly, they feel good. Beside our hiatus, they've kept me busy since coming to Idlewood. 

The thirty-minute drive to Oakland passes quickly because I'm buzzing with adrenaline.

I park a couple streets over from his home and we walk our way there.

"What's the plan?"

"Do you still have his number?"

"Yeah."

"I want to watch his face when he reads what we're about to send him."

Zed uses an app that makes his number unknown. We've used it on Caleb before, but this one is going to be the best yet.

Sneaking around the wooden fence of his home, I climb over the side and land on the cobblestone patio next to the pool.

I've never been caught. Caleb's parents are never home and Caleb is too busy in his own head to be aware of his surroundings.